News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pangea / Wave Machine #2

Started by flanagan0718, January 23, 2017, 11:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hello All,
     Here is my second Voodoo Vibe. For the amount of components on this board this build was surprisingly easy to get going. There was very little "dialing in" and if you followed Brane's (brenja's) build doc closely then you were golden. The only thing that I'll need to do is open up my first one (found here http://custohmelectronics.blogspot.com/2016/09/wave-machine.html) and heat shrink the LED / LDRs. it makes a difference to my ears.

Here is what I did with the enclosure. First I acid etched the enclosure with ferric chloride. Second, I painted it with flat black primer. Last, I sanded the areas where i had acid etched the lettering and graphics. This took a while, primer is A LOT thicker than I thought. My goal was to make it look like waves in the ocean had warn down the paint to reveal the lettering. Eh...kind of a failure but it still looks cool.

Here are the pictures for you!

Not 100% on the knobs but these work for now.

Thanks for looking guys!

Jebus

Awesome! The graphics look really cool.

Quote from: flanagan0718 on January 23, 2017, 11:03:09 AM
Not 100% on the knobs but these work for now.

They look good, but I would probably go with something more colorful.  :)

zombie_rock123

I wish my failures looked that bloody good! Works really well to my eyes. Great to see new ideas with etches.

I enjoy chicken heads on this one but thats probably conditioning from brenjas and others builds..
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

bcalla

Great build, Mike!  Your etches are amazing.

flanagan0718

Thanks for the kind words guys!

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on January 23, 2017, 11:19:01 AM
I wish my failures looked that bloody good!

I originally wasn't going to go with the word "failure" but what i was trying to achive didn't really work. It did come out pretty good though. Thanks.

Quote from: bcalla on January 23, 2017, 12:50:32 PM
Great build, Mike!  Your etches are amazing.

Thanks Bob! I actually found the perfect thing to etch in. its a 12 in Pyrex Pie Dish. Its cheap, chemical resistant, and clear! Just don't give it back to the wife after, BUY HER A NEW ONE lol. But seriously it worked really well. Patience is key too. It's a lot of dipping, and rinsing, and dipping, and rinsing. So I usually put on a movie while doing it.

selfdestroyer

You handled that tight build like a champ! I have yet to box mine since I as so afraid of miss drilling the enclosure. haha

That etch came out great and I love the arrow you used to point from the FS to the LED bezel.

Cody

bcalla

I also have a couple questions about your build(s).

1. The build doc calls for 2 specific LDRs - Gl5549 x 3 & Gl5516 x 1.  Did you stick with that or did you use something else?
2. There is another thread regarding volume loss when using the tremolo that can be corrected with the right LEDs.  What did you use?

Thanks.

flanagan0718

Quote from: bcalla on January 23, 2017, 01:27:42 PM
I also have a couple questions about your build(s).

1. The build doc calls for 2 specific LDRs - Gl5549 x 3 & Gl5516 x 1.  Did you stick with that or did you use something else?
2. There is another thread regarding volume loss when using the tremolo that can be corrected with the right LEDs.  What did you use?

Thanks.

Honestly I believe I got the "Package" (which included the LDRs) when Brenja did the first group buy. I did notice a volume drop on my first one. But i think that may be because I didn't "Roll" the vactrols. I left them open and I feel the may have been a mistake. It's easy enough to solve though. I did just use some run of the mill Tayda yellow LEDs though. nothing special on those. He did mention that he typically just gets his LDRs through Tayda though. I think i have an extra set if you want them. LMK.

Quote from: selfdestroyer on January 23, 2017, 01:24:25 PM
You handled that tight build like a champ! I have yet to box mine since I as so afraid of miss drilling the enclosure. haha

That etch came out great and I love the arrow you used to point from the FS to the LED bezel.

Cody

Honestly I almost Pitched this enclosure. I had to re-drill the jack holes (<- hehe) so the collar fit in too. I also had to bend the terminals out. WAY tighter than I remember. Thanks Cody.

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

Bret608

Looks awesome Mike! I may go back and heatshrink my LED/LDR combos as well. I never had any volume drop issues, but would be curious to see how it sounds. I managed to put together a good LED/LDR combo between Mouser and Smallbear if anyone needs the info. I was trying to avoid ordering from too many different places, but I ended up being really happy with the result sound-wise.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with drilling boxing issues. I'm honestly going back and re-boxing mine as I could never really get the bottom fully closed and it's driving me nuts. I am doing so in a Hammond 1590X. Highly recommended if you feel like you need a deeper 1790NS/1590XX-type deal. It's at least two inches deep! I just got done drilling it, but I can already tell I'll probably be able to use Switchcraft enclosed jacks if I want to...

flanagan0718

Quote from: Bret608 on January 23, 2017, 02:35:59 PM
Looks awesome Mike! I may go back and heatshrink my LED/LDR combos as well. I never had any volume drop issues, but would be curious to see how it sounds. I managed to put together a good LED/LDR combo between Mouser and Smallbear if anyone needs the info. I was trying to avoid ordering from too many different places, but I ended up being really happy with the result sound-wise.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one with drilling boxing issues.

It's worth heat shrinking the LDRs there is a bit of bleed that happens if you don't. I have both of the ones I built. One doesn't have them rolled and I might do an A / B video if I get a chance.

On the blue one I did a while ago I did use the Lumberg style jacks which helped in the regular 1790ns you get from BLMS. I'd be interested to see how yours looks in comparison. Thanks man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

That looks really, really cool.

I need to stop being a lazy bit-ca and start populating mine.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

bluescage

Timko

Nice looking build.  Where do you get those LED covers?

flanagan0718

Quote from: Timko on January 24, 2017, 07:22:30 AM
Nice looking build.  Where do you get those LED covers?

Honestly...I think I got them on ebay, either that or Newark. It was a while ago.