News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Junction box that sums to mono?

Started by Tuxedo3, February 01, 2017, 05:32:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tuxedo3

Hey guys, I have a friend who was a sort of junction box for his board so he doesn't have to plug in and out of pedals to go to his amp. His last pedal is a BigSky, so he wants to run stereo from there to this box I'll make that has 2 inputs and 2 outputs. I was wanting to put a 1pdt switch on it so in one direction it sums both inputs to mono and the other it runs in stereo. Does this design sound like it would work?

jumokiezt

How wud that be done if so draw a diagram pleaze..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jumokiezt

[emoji41]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

sturgeo

Tuxedo3

Quote from: sturgeo on February 02, 2017, 04:02:05 AM
Its not that straightforward, you need a circuit like this:

Info here: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=112093.0

and those resistors are 470ohm? That's interesting, but yeah I get it. Still not very difficult. Thanks for the schematic and info.

rumbletone

Have you tested summing it to mono? I am always hesitant to sum stereo effects to mono without testing - can create unexpected comb filtering/cancellation depending on the device and how it creates the stereo image. May be totally fine, but also may be better to just take the mono output when running mono.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

Passive mixing can be iffy. Probably be a better idea to have a simple op-amp mixer with some switches attached.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Tuxedo3

The Goodwood Interfacer is basically where I got this idea. It has way more than just what I'm attempting to do though. It's an input/output function, buffer, kill switch, and has a tuner out, etc. But if you look, it has a switch that either sums the inputs to mono or runs them as stereo. I'd love to be able to do that, even if I had to run power to it, that's fine by me.

https://goodwoodaudio.com/product/theinterfacer/

Tuxedo3

http://www.analogendeavors.com/product/custom-patchbay
This is the exact design I had in my head as well, that looks like a SPDT switch, I wonder how this one works?

http://www.analogendeavors.com/product/custom-patchbay

Tuxedo3

In regards to this question, in case anyone ever is wondering in the future, I made this box to fill my needs. It's very simple (4 mono jacks and a SPDT) but the switch determines if the signal is summed to one jack or sent stereo.

AntKnee

Why doesn't someone offer a utility pcb for a pedalboard interface like this?
...or does someone?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

sturgeo

Quote from: Tuxedo3 on February 16, 2017, 06:30:59 AM
In regards to this question, in case anyone ever is wondering in the future, I made this box to fill my needs. It's very simple (4 mono jacks and a SPDT) but the switch determines if the signal is summed to one jack or sent stereo.

Do you mean SPDT or DPDT? have you got a basic wiring diagram?

sturgeo

Quote from: Tuxedo3 on February 16, 2017, 06:30:59 AM

I've just noticed, you've not used isolated jacks on any of the ins/outs, do you get any issues with ground loops?

Tuxedo3

Quote from: AntKnee on February 16, 2017, 07:54:38 PM
Why doesn't someone offer a utility pcb for a pedalboard interface like this?
...or does someone?

Working on it now actually  ;)

Quote from: sturgeo on February 17, 2017, 01:57:52 AM
Do you mean SPDT or DPDT? have you got a basic wiring diagram?

Nope it's just SPDT. I can take a photo of the inside if that helps. I never made a wiring diagram is just whipped one up with alligator clips and the jacks to make sure it worked first.

Quote from: sturgeo on February 17, 2017, 02:09:19 AM
I've just noticed, you've not used isolated jacks on any of the ins/outs, do you get any issues with ground loops?

I'm not actually sure what isolated jacks are, but nope, it's been working exactly how I imagined.