News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First build, small issue

Started by adam193, February 04, 2017, 11:14:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam193

Built my first pedal this morning, yay me!

BYOC 5 Knob Compressor.

Wired it up, put a battery in, worked great!

Tried the AC adapter (One Spot), and it did not work. Boo!

Opened it up, everything looked fine.

Pulled out the multimeter, one of the positive circuits reads 19V.
The other reads 0.

I unsoldered the circuit from the plug and tried it the outside circuit reads 19V, the inside one 0.

Do I have a bad female AC adapter?

What else could it be?

Thanks, ad

m-Kresol

I hope you are using DC power not AC. the latter would not be good for your circuit. ;)

anyways, it sounds like you could have wired in your DC/battery jack the wrong way and mixed up ring and tip contact. Refer to madbeans general wiring diagram in the tutorial section. if you can't get it from there, please post pictures of your build.

or even better measure your pins. the sleeve pin should go to GND. when there's no DC jack plugged in the other two pins should be connected (use the continuity tester of your DMM) and once you insert the dc jack they shouldn't be. this is just to make sure the jack is doing it's thing, it has switched contacts. So now, I'm assuming your pcb is still hard wired to the DC jack. take the continuity setting again and measure from the 9V input pad at the pcb to the jack with no DC plug plugged in. it should have continuity to both pins. once you insert the plug (do not actually apply power!) you should only have continuity to the pin that the pcb connects to and the one going to the battery should be disconnected.
hope that makes sense.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

adam193

Here is how the schematic has it :

m-Kresol

ok, please post a link to the whole build doc. I need to have a look at the bigger picture. also post a picture of your build. most likely the problem is either be the DC or input jack, but we can't help you without actual info/pics about your build

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

adam193

m-Kresol

thanks.

so make sure that the outer lug (the one marked sleeve on page 18) is the one wired to the right + pad like shown on the picture you posted. also check if you wired the ring contact of your input switch correctly.

however, based on your original post, it seems like this should be ok. if you switched the input's ring lug, the battery wouldn't work and there wouldn't be audio and if you switched the DC jack lugs, it should still work off the battery instead of the external DC supply. (sorry, I reread your OP and only realized this now). please check this nevertheless to make sure.

Quote from: adam193 on February 04, 2017, 11:14:36 AM
Pulled out the multimeter, one of the positive circuits reads 19V.
The other reads 0.

I unsoldered the circuit from the plug and tried it the outside circuit reads 19V, the inside one 0.

did you unplug the battery when you added the external supply? if so, only having voltage on the outside lug is normal (inserting the plug opens the normally-closed switch and disconects the inner lug from the outer one).

so, follow-up question: what's your power supply? and did you want to power it with 18V? if so, 19V is ok, but if you wanted 9V, 19V is definetly beyond the usual fluctuation. according to the build doc 18V should be fine anyways. And just to be completely sure, you are powering it with DC voltage, right?

adam193

Power supply is a 1 spot. 9 volt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adam193

Okay. Just figured it out. It only turns on if the 1/4" jacks are plugged in. It works just fine. On to finishing the artwork and boxing it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

devilsnight

Lol. Are you adding provisions for a 9 volt battery in your pedal? If not, you can wire your power different and use mono jacks. Then you won't have this problem. Totally your personal preference, I don't build any pedals that can be battery powered. Just not worthwhile it in my opinion. Good luck on the rest of your build!

m-Kresol

I also realized that madbean does not include wiring of battery snaps in his tutorial.

But what if, unlike Bean, you are stuck in the 1970's and still use environment destroying batteries for pedals? How do we include that? 
YOU DON'T
Get with the program. It's 2015 and the only time you should use batteries is to put them in your flashlight during the zombie apocalypse. I won't be an enabler!