News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Enclosures - (Alternative options, sheet metal, etc)

Started by Barracuda, February 10, 2017, 04:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barracuda

So the standard hammond 1590b and 1590bb are just too plain and overused to my eye. I've been searching around everywhere for sheet metal enclosures and just generally enclosures with different looks to them. I've found a few sheet metal enclosures, but they aren't really the dimensions I'm looking for. I actually wouldn't even mind an enclosure like the 1590bb with a bit more height and much less rounded edges, something a bit different to the norm..

Is there any direction/website you guys can point me to?

I am UK based, by the way.

matmosphere

The bear box from smallbear looks cool. There's taller versions of the 1590bb that mammoth sells that are nice. They still have the same corners though.

Sheet metal enclosures are pretty cool but they are MUCH more difficult to drill than aluminum. If you're going to do a lot you'd definately need a drill press and very high quality drill bits. I broke three or four decent drill bits on one sheet metal enclosure.

I saw a guy on a guitar building forum that was making his own enclosures from wood. They looked fantastic.

Hammond also makes a ton of different sizes and shapes of aluminum enclosures as well. The 1590 series is very common for people who build pedals but there is tons of others.

matmosphere

devilsnight

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 10, 2017, 05:44:05 PM
Here's the thread about the wooden enclosures.

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/a-new-adventure-begins.671399/page-4

Those are cool! My brother volunteered to 3d print me any kind of box I want but I haven't jumped on it yet, I initally figured It would be a pain in the butt trying to sheild one properly. If you have a small welder and some metal skill you can make your own  :D I just buy 18g steel sheets and make my own shape if I want something different.

devilsnight

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 10, 2017, 05:33:19 PM
Sheet metal enclosures are pretty cool but they are MUCH more difficult to drill than aluminum. If you're going to do a lot you'd definately need a drill press and very high quality drill bits. I broke three or four decent drill bits on one sheet metal enclosure.
Indeed, I think most of you guys are spoiled though  :D Try drilling broken off stainless manifold studs out of an engine! I do that on a regular basis. Drilling aluminum stomp boxes is such a relief when I get home at night!

adam193