Naughty Fish only does the down range, not up- schematic reading help needed

Started by bscur, April 20, 2016, 04:42:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredwreck

Yea those are the ones I have, with the blue dot.  And your right the build picture shows the Macrons in it, so that was throwing me for a loop.  I hope this helps other people having a problem.

Thanks for your help Brian.

midwayfair

The blue dot is for the supposed VTL5C1 substitute. Theoretically, it should work the same or better than the 5C3 substitute, because it would have a higher total dark resistance (which is limited by a parallel resistor). The important characteristics of making it work right in a Mutron III build wouldn't change, though, so it's not like you just bought the wrong Macron -- the gold dot ones don't work either.

fredwreck

Hey.. whatever the Einstein astro physics behind it is.  It still doesnt work.. Get the VTLs!

taeagan

I was just about to start another thread with the same basic issue... in my Naughty Fish build, everything seems to be OK in the Range=Down position.  In the Range=Up position I either get no effect, or an auto-wah that is so quiet as to be almost useless.  I fiddled with the gain, sweep, trimmer, and master volume pots in all permutations of the other switches where Range=Up.  I spent a bunch of time with it and I just couldn't get any useful sounds dialed in with Range=Up. 

I'm using the Macron "F" style Optocouplers from Smallbear.  I ordered them a few months ago.  Is the recommendation that I should order the VTL5C3 from another source?  Or should I do some other troubleshooting?  All of my voltages look reasonable as compared to the documentation. 

Thanks.

fredwreck

Quote from: taeagan on November 12, 2016, 04:21:54 AM
I was just about to start another thread with the same basic issue... in my Naughty Fish build, everything seems to be OK in the Range=Down position.  In the Range=Up position I either get no effect, or an auto-wah that is so quiet as to be almost useless.  I fiddled with the gain, sweep, trimmer, and master volume pots in all permutations of the other switches where Range=Up.  I spent a bunch of time with it and I just couldn't get any useful sounds dialed in with Range=Up. 

I'm using the Macron "F" style Optocouplers from Smallbear.  I ordered them a few months ago.  Is the recommendation that I should order the VTL5C3 from another source?  Or should I do some other troubleshooting?  All of my voltages look reasonable as compared to the documentation. 

Thanks.

Trash those Macrons..goto ebay and search for Xvive Audio VTL5C3! Cabin Global has them for $7.00!

It should be money after that! Let us know if it works after you replace them.

rrroo

i made my own LED/LDR combos. first it did not seem to work properly in the filter down mode. Then i noticed that guitar signal was not enough to turn the leds completely of. replaced the 5k trimmer with 25k and now it works!

EDIT: actually I found out that the main problem is that the bias voltage in down mode, defined by resistors r18 and r19 is not optimal. I replaced those with a trimmer working as a voltage divider and now i can really tune in all those crazy funky filter sounds from the pedal.