News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I think I found the Klon's real germanium magic.

Started by alanp, February 11, 2017, 10:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

https://www.crystran.co.uk/optical-materials/germanium-ge

Germanium, at infra-red spectrums, acts like a lens. Found this out on a Lindybeige video about sci-fi tanks. Weird, weird world that we live in, isn't it?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

DPTX

So does silicon.  Just at different wavelengths in the spectrum.  The real secret to the Klon sauce is supply and demand. 

alanp

It's not something I ever would have suspected, so it came as a surprise when I heard about it (as in pause the video, and google it to make sure that he isn't making shit up.)
- Terry Pratchett
My website

DPTX

When I was a grad student I used Si and Ge fast photodiodes for some work.  At $50 a pop, I bet they'd sound great in an OD (I kid)

nzCdog

This discussion may never die out... haha ;D

I think we need a wordfilter to autocorrect the word 'klon' to 'kindly remember the ridiculous hype that offends so many is not of my making'

devilsnight

Quote from: nzCdog on February 12, 2017, 04:04:41 PM
kindly remember the ridiculous hype that offends so many is not of my making'
Exactly, even though he goes on to mention that he bought the worlds remaining stock of GE diodes that gave the klon it's signature sound that we mortals would never be able to reproduce? Lol, Ya..... Not of my making! Right

culturejam

Quote from: DPTX on February 12, 2017, 06:15:55 AM
The real secret to the Klon sauce is supply and demand.

Winner, winner; Chicken dinner!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

alanp

I only used the subject for a snappy line :/

I just thought the germanium lens thing was dead cool. I would never have imagined that!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

nzCdog

Quote from: alanp on February 12, 2017, 11:00:56 PM
I only used the subject for a snappy line :/

I just thought the germanium lens thing was dead cool. I would never have imagined that!

It is cool!  Sorry to detract from your first post Alan  :)

neandrewthal

I love Lindybeige, but am I just crazy or does he seem to be trying a little too hard to be upbeat and entertaining since he started putting those annoying product placements in his videos?

It may be just me, because I do find those plugs quite irritating.

Anyway, I watched the video you are talking about but I only vaguely remember hearing something up the germanium. Maybe I'll have to watch it again.