News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer output is extremely low & farty. is IC1 Faulty?

Started by cpip, February 12, 2017, 12:16:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpip

Hello,

Just wired up the kingslayer and I only hear signal if i play my guitar really hard. (Note: due to not having the right parts, C15 is using a 3n3 cap instead of 3n9- i can't imagine this is the issue though...)

My IC values look really wrong... Is it possible my IC1 is faulty?

IC1: 2v, 2v, 1.6v, .7v, 300mv, 330mv, 7.5v, 8.18v
IC2: .8v, 65mv, 0v, .71v, 0v, 68mv, .8v, 8.18v
IC3: 3.7mv, 0v, 0v, 1.2v, .7v, .64v, 1.25v, 8.18v
onespot: 9.35v

Any ideas what could be wrong?

darrenw6000

reddesert

It's important to distinguish weird voltages that are output by a chip, and weird voltages that are input to a chip. Pins 4 and 8 of the opamps IC1 and IC2 are the - and + power rails. These should be -8V and +8V, but pin 4 is about +1V instead. This won't usually (maybe never) be caused by a bad opamp. It means there's something wrong in the power section. Pin 5 of IC3, the charge pump, should be providing the -8V supply, but it is at 0.7V. Pin 1 of IC3 should be connected to the +8V bus but it's at 0, which is very suspicious.

I suspect either something is wrong in the circuit around the charge pump, like a unsoldered pin (check pin 1), loose connection to ground, or around the capacitors (C19 and C20). Or possibly the pump IC3 was itself damaged.

Unless you are trying to fit a small board in a very small enclosure, I like socketing the ICs. Less likely to get damaged by solder heat and easier to swap out ICs for testing.

cpip

Thanks Reddesert,

I tried to reflow as you described but didn't see any change in voltages.

Im going to pull all 3 IC's and drop sockets in. That's really great advice! Just need to wait for parts to come in now.

I'll let you know what happens after I socket these things.

Thanks again