News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Nutron II Phaser - LED is not pulsing

Started by cleverbeefalo, February 01, 2017, 08:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleverbeefalo

Hi folks, thanks ahead for anyone who tries to help!

I've built bangerang101's Nu-tron II using all the recommended values from his original layout.

Here's a link to the schematic and layout: https://zackbassage.files.wordpress.com/2017/02/nutr0nphaser-1590bb.pdf

The effect is functioning in the sense that the LED lights up and when the effect is engaged signal passes through, but the phaser is not phasing. It sounds like when I turn the effect on the phaser is stuck at one point in the sweep.

Here are my voltage readings (IC voltages are posted according to the physical orientation of the pins):

IC 1:
.01         9.6
0            0
0            0
-7.82      0

IC 2:
0            9.58
0            0
0            0
-7.82      0

IC 3:
0            9.58
0            0
0            0
-7.82      0

IC 4:
0            9.58
0            0
0            0
-7.82      0

IC 5:
0            9.58
0            3.4
0            .2
-7.82      .2

IC 6:
8.1         8.88
0            3.4
0            2.23
-7.82      0

IC 7:
9.58       9.57
5.52       4.07
0            4.57
-3.6       -7.82

Q1:
C 9.57
B 3.39
E 2.75

I have tested continuity once so far and haven't come across any problems. I've also swept the solder side once for solder bridges. I'm going to take a break and check again after the break.

Can someone help me figure out why the phaser is not sweeping?

Thanks again for your help!

-ZB

jonnygreentrees

I may be remembering this wrong but I think mine did this when something was shorting out

jimilee

It could be several possibilities and stabbing in the dark is more chasing your tail, BUT with that being said, mine did the same thing, turns out I managed to fry Q1 somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

cleverbeefalo

Thanks for the responses guys! Still searching for an answer, but I will report back once it's figured out.

cleverbeefalo

Found one of the issues! I seem to have had some problems with etching because the trace from C19 to the depth pot didn't exist.

Effect is working now, but there's a clicking sound that goes with the pulse of the sweep. I'm gonna get the trim pots tuned up and hope it goes away. Fingers crossed.

Thanks for your ideas, guys!

jonnygreentrees

Mine also has the weird clicking issue but only if you nudge the jacks and 9V jack with your foot?! If I disconnect and reconnect the power it goes away until I nudge the jacks again!

I had loads of issues with mine with traces and pads lifting and ended up having to do about 5 bodge repairs so I'm just keeping that one as a studio effect and have ordered two more boards to have another crack at it when I can be bothered

cleverbeefalo

That's strange about the jacks and 9v stuff! I did a bit of research and am thinking a lot of the clicking is coming from my jack placement/enclosure arrangement. I didn't follow the enclosure layout that comes with the paperwork, but it clearly puts the jacks away from the lfo ic, which I didn't do.

When I get some new copper clad in I'm going to make another following the original jack/layout scheme. Hopefully that's going to take care of the clicking.

Thanks for all the input folks!