News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wait a minute...MXR Dist II???

Started by gordo, February 13, 2017, 04:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

How has this one slipped thru the cracks?  I got the Rullywow board (Dist Deucer) from 3secondrule and the build docs from Rully and this thing just kills.  Too much bass, too dark sounding, and a tad noisey, but damn this thing is Ty Tabor in a box.  Smoove, not a bit harsh and tons of definition even at the end of the Gain pot.  Mind you, this is not at all a high gain pedal but damn it sounds good.

I have lots of work to do to get the thing quieter and eq'd a bit brighter but I haven't been this excited about a drive pedal in ages.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Haberdasher

As it turns out, I'm working on one for lectric-fx right now.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jimilee

Quote from: Haberdasher on February 14, 2017, 04:33:58 AM
As it turns out, I'm working on one for lectric-fx right now.
Yesssss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Haberdasher

Oops, my bad.  I didn't realize this was in the build reports section when I posted the first time.
Wasn't trying to thread jack, plz carry on.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gordo

Not at all, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.  I'm definitely in for a board when you release it.  I'll screw around with the tone stack a bit.  On this one to get a mildly bright sound I have the resonance completely ccw and the tone pot maxed.
Gordy Power

Scruffie

Quote from: gordo on February 14, 2017, 04:20:14 PM
Not at all, I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.  I'm definitely in for a board when you release it.  I'll screw around with the tone stack a bit.  On this one to get a mildly bright sound I have the resonance completely ccw and the tone pot maxed.
The 22nF cap in series with the 75k resistor in the pedal forms a de-emphasis filter (after some pre-emphasis) the value probably needs playing with to brighten things up, the idea I think is that the bass is cut much like in an amp and then added back in to make the tone more neutral and to stop the bass being too distorted but is too heavy.

On the resonance side of the circuit it looks like it goes through a twin-t circuit... I figure some value tweaks could make this a very versatile distortion.

The tone control or filter is a simple low pass like on a rat, you could reduce the value of the 10k resistor feeding in to the 1nF cap which currently cuts below about 15kHz at minimum but I don't think that's where the loss of highs originates from.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Thanks Scruffie.  I played with it a bit tonite and when I get more bench time I can try your suggestions. The resonance adds in some major low end. If you were in a "Filter" cover band this thing would get you there in spades.
Gordy Power