News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vox ac50, anyone ever use one?

Started by matmosphere, February 16, 2017, 05:51:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

One of these just popped up locally for a very good price but I've never tried a 50, I've always wanted a ac30.

Anybody ever compared one to an ac30? Does the 50 have that same Vox chime?

vizcities

Most of the YouTube demos I've seen of this thing seem pretty eh, but one guy retubed/rebiased it in a way that brought out its essential "Voxness." I get the sense it doesn't acquit itself stock and you may have to do some grunt work to get it to AC15/30 places, but apparently the boost and chime ARE possible...

gordo

The one I worked on leaned much more to a Marshall than a Vox.  Was a nice sounding amp, just not in the traditional Vox personality.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

AntKnee

Is it an AC50, or an AC50CP?

I had a CP, and it is more marshall than vox sounding. I liked it, though. Its a very decent tube amp for the price, but works better for rock tones than clean tones.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

matmosphere

Quote from: AntKnee on February 16, 2017, 07:39:03 PM
Is it an AC50, or an AC50CP?

I had a CP, and it is more marshall than vox sounding. I liked it, though. Its a very decent tube amp for the price, but works better for rock tones than clean tones.

It's the cp. only $300 though so it's tempting. Don't really NEED another big amp though.

impycat1

When I hear Vox AC 50 my ears prick up. I used to have a 1960's one with vinyl cover which I bought off an organ player in Truro Cornwall.
Good amp really loud solid and heavy. Never let me down at gigs.
I sold it to someone along with a Japanese Westbury standard for £120 as I needed cash. You live and learn..

It's probably in a barn somewhere near here covered in chicken shit.

Never mind.

AntKnee

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 17, 2017, 07:19:25 AM
It's the cp. only $300 though so it's tempting. Don't really NEED another big amp though.

The gain channel is a little muddy, but is usable. I left mine on the clean channel and it worked fine for me. I eventually went to something with more gain overall (Marshall). The big gripe about this amp is the pcb circuitry design, which was never a factor for me. I think you can do some mods to get it more in the AC30 range. Vox says the clean channel is modeled on the AC30 circuit. What that technically means, I don't know.

At $300, IMO its a good deal. I sold mine for $400. I'd describe it as a good first tube amp. If you already have a good, loud tube amp, I would pass on it. If you always wanted an AC30, wait for that.

matmosphere

I've already got a music man Sixty-five that I'll never sell. I've really always wanted a 30 so maybe I should just hold out. Doubt I'll ever find one for this cheap though.

AntKnee

Quote from: Matmosphere on February 17, 2017, 02:25:06 PM
I've already got a music man Sixty-five that I'll never sell. I've really always wanted a 30 so maybe I should just hold out. Doubt I'll ever find one for this cheap though.

No, you won't, but there's a reason for that!  ;D