News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3pdt w LED ring

Started by Fndr8875, February 19, 2017, 06:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

Anyone seen something like this before?

i think its a pretty sweet concept, saves space and wiring inside enclosure, sure ppl will argue that its negligible. But havent seen anything like this before thought id share.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3PDT-Foot-Switch-with-Blue-LED-Ring-Solder-Lugs-True-Bypass-BEST-QUALITY-/262785115427?hash=item3d2f36a523:g:4OwAAOSwt5hYZr3B

AntKnee

I ordered a couple just to check them out. I will update after I receive them.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

drolo

while they really look good, I kind of don't like the idea of having no visual feedback while my foot is hiding the LED at the moment of switching
but it might not be that big of a deal

gordo

I ordered a few, too, to check them out.  Looks interesting.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jimilee

That's really awesome. I wonder how easy it would be to diy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

Quote from: jimilee on February 20, 2017, 09:14:15 AM

I think the pcb wouldn't be hard. i think the ring lens is harder to do or aquire.

will be interesting to see if the 3pdt switches themselves are of any quality.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimilee

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 20, 2017, 10:08:04 AM
Quote from: jimilee on February 20, 2017, 09:14:15 AM

I think the pcb wouldn't be hard. i think the ring lens is harder to do or aquire.

will be interesting to see if the 3pdt switches themselves are of any quality.
At 9 bucks per, I'd be slightly irritated with anything less.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Willybomb

I saw these on alibaba, much cheaper than $9 each, and I think I'm going to start using them - at least in a build I have coming up.

AntKnee

I'm not sure where the 9 dollar amount came from. They are 6.67 on ebay.

jimilee

Quote from: AntKnee on February 20, 2017, 08:43:21 PM
I'm not sure where the 9 dollar amount came from. They are 6.67 on ebay.
Shipping I saw was around 3.00

Govmnt_Lacky

Looks like you would need to drill and/or file out a notch to accommodate the LED ring connections.

So, it's equal work in my book. Novelty appeal only.

Fndr8875

If you click on the listing there are multiple images, as far as DIY, anything is possilbe, but it seems the pcb is sort of inlayed, like the ring around the button is down a tad more than a regular 3pdt. I dont think it would require any custom drilling, as the pin headers look to me to be below where the base is that screws to enclosure. Price wise yea for 1 itd be about ten bucks, but with combined shipping theyd be 6.67 each plus shipping so if ur buying 10 then the shipping wouldnt really add much to the price of each. Even the cheapest of the cheap 3pdts ive gotten are like 3-4 bucks, let me know how it works, seems rare to find something that hasnt been done before on pedals, not to say no one has used these, just that im sure 9/10 ppl or more havent seen this method of having led indicator. I really like the idea, because its one less hole to drill and gives more room inside of pedal.

m-Kresol

I think it's expensive for a switch but if you factor in the pcb and the lense, the price is ok. I might do a pcb myself for 2PDTs. should be easy, as only need a small pcb with a centred hole, 4 smd LEDs and  1-4 CLRs. For the lense, I'd drill a wider hole than necessary, fill it with envirotex and drill the centre leaving a ring, which will be illuminated afterwards.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

AntKnee

Quote from: m-Kresol on February 21, 2017, 01:37:41 PM
I think it's expensive for a switch but if you factor in the pcb and the lense, the price is ok. I might do a pcb myself for 2PDTs. should be easy, as only need a small pcb with a centred hole, 4 smd LEDs and  1-4 CLRs. For the lense, I'd drill a wider hole than necessary, fill it with envirotex and drill the centre leaving a ring, which will be illuminated afterwards.

Thats a good idea.