News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Resistors, Capacitors, etc quality.. Fulltone OCD all versions

Started by Fndr8875, February 20, 2017, 02:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fndr8875

ok so im building an OCD overdrive, and from gut shot pics, which there are alot of online, they all look like plain carbon film resistors, multilayer ceramics, and mylar greenies. Yet since ive gottten interested in building this pedal, it seems like its one of the top most beloved pedals, seemingly bc of its range from anything from mild boost/overdrive to full on distortion. Im in the process of moving and 90 percent of my stuff is in another state, id like to finish it up, but am i really gonna notice sound difference if i wait and use my Nos silver mica 220pf caps, and wima metal films, vs using cheapo ceramics and couple greenie mylars from radioshack, which is what the actual fulltone uses, i do have kemet metal film 100nfs soldered in, just curious mainly about the pf caps and carbon film resistors, the passive stuff basically. Also the 10uf caps would anyone recommend all tantalums? anything to be gained by them other than size?

AntKnee

I am definitely not an expert on part quality, but Ive used various brands and suppliers over the years. I cant tell the difference in sound quality of different parts, but there are certainly differences in part durability and longevity. That said, all my builds are atill going strong after years of use, regardless of which passives I built them with. Hope that helps.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

midwayfair

There is a direct correlation between the amount you worry about this and the degree to which you will be convinced you hear a difference in the end. ;)

Fndr8875

agreed. i think its like anything else, if you know that you spend  x amount of money on something that is an upgrade , but it is not visable and no one can see it but you then it is a non issue. Ive built pedals w super cheap components, and ones with special caps n such, they both work fine but there is a perceived measure of quality in my head bc i know. The main issue with me is w capacitors, mainly greenies and there size, they are fine up to about 47nf, but above that i have to start bending them over. there is a set of mlcc for 12 bucks on ebay im gonna get, they are 5 percent tol, and i love how small they are.

John S

I like to use MLCC (small yellow) whenever possible. They are dirt cheap from Tayda and supposedly you cant tell the difference unless there is way more voltage involved.
Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.

movinginslomo

Jeez don't ruin the Mojo - Myth! How can we bank off blues lawyers if you can't get them to fork it over for NOS vintage or high-end audiophile?

flanagan0718

Quote from: midwayfair on February 20, 2017, 01:12:47 PM
There is a direct correlation between the amount you worry about this and the degree to which you will be convinced you hear a difference in the end. ;)

Hahahaha! Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk