News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solder

Started by ddj3891, February 28, 2017, 05:32:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddj3891

What type of solder do you guys use? I have some 40/60 66core .093 dia. I got for free. It works good, but seems way to big. I tried a smaller size, but it doesn't seem to work as well. I don't know the details on the smaller type. It was just a rolled up piece with no packaging.

stringsthings

I use Aim solder "Sn63/Pb37 GLOWCORE2% .032 DIA. 1 lb." from the Mouse (r).
I've used it for years.

.093 is really big for PCB work.  As long as you have a good iron, and some flux in the solder ( which most have ),
a thinner diameter type will work for you.
All You Need Is Love

BrianS

jimilee

That's the same stuff I bought too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

Cheap 60/40 rosin core stuff. The iron is just as much, if not more important.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Kester 63/37 here as well.  I generally go for thinner awg, though.  I usually use 0.15, 0.20 and 0.25.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

flanagan0718

Honestly, I like the Radio Shack solder. it's one of the few things they have that is actually good. Its pretty inexpensive too. the 60/40 stuff is $5.99 a roll. I usually buy 2 rolls when I go in, it won't last forever...

bluescage

davent

Quote from: pickdropper on February 28, 2017, 08:53:27 PM
Kester 63/37 here as well.  I generally go for thinner awg, though.  I usually use 0.15, 0.20 and 0.25.

I've a roll of 245, 0.020 that i i've been using for pcb builds but i picked up some MG Chemicals Sn63/Pb 37, 0.032 to use on eyelet boards and the like, i find it works better for me then the Kester.

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/solder-and-solder-related-products/solder-wire/leaded-cored-solder-wire/sn-63-/-pb-37-solder-wire/sn63-pb37-4880

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?