News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Elecrow now has purple PCBs

Started by culturejam, March 02, 2017, 01:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

madbean

Kinda pricey tho (compared to regular colors). Which kinda begs the question - what the hell difference does the solder mask color make in price? I never got this.

matmosphere

I don't know but my black Mangler sure does look cool.

culturejam

Quote from: madbean on March 02, 2017, 01:16:24 PM
what the hell difference does the solder mask color make in price? I never got this.

I'm guessing it has to do with how much of each color is being made. Green is the cheapest because it's used across all industries and there is a lot of it. Other colors are less common, with purple being the least common. I'd never seen purple until Dorkbot got started up.

Just a guess, of course. Maybe the dye to make the purple costs more? Who knows.

zombie_rock123

I was going to guess the dye costs more.

Maybe they make it like the Roman's did with sea snail shells and that's why it costs so much :D
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

midwayfair

Kinda pricey tho (compared to regular colors). Which kinda begs the question - what the hell difference does the solder mask color make in price? I never got this.

My guess is that they can charge more because people will think it's the same quality PCB as Osh Park.

jimilee

Purple is almost red, maybe they go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

Quote from: jimilee on March 02, 2017, 06:09:59 PM
Purple is almost red, maybe they go faster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then we should just get red?!? That is an option...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

m-Kresol

Quote from: midwayfair on March 02, 2017, 05:40:34 PM

My guess is that they can charge more because people will think it's the same quality PCB as Osh Park.

the pcbs I got from elecrow were really good quality. I didn't go for the enig finish but the HASL finish and I found that this solders very easily and consistently similar to pcbs purchased from madbean, jmk, grind...
one pcb had a slightly faulty silk screen, but that's only cosmetic. Also, they shipped fast!

however, I don't get the colour thing either. If I can choose, that's cool, but I wouldn't pay extra just for the colour.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

midwayfair

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 02, 2017, 08:27:46 PM
the pcbs I got from elecrow were really good quality

No, I know, it was just a joke.

EBRAddict

Speaking of Oshpark, does anyone else think their boards don't take solder very well sometimes? I use Kester 63/37 and even with additional flux it seems like some pads just repel the solder.

darrenw6000

who does yours then Brian?

culturejam

Quote from: EBRAddict on March 02, 2017, 10:04:48 PM
Speaking of Oshpark, does anyone else think their boards don't take solder very well sometimes? I use Kester 63/37 and even with additional flux it seems like some pads just repel the solder.

I've never had issues with the pads "repelling" solder, but the pads aren't pre-tinned like some other places do. That makes it take solder a little less readily. Takes a little more heat, especially for pads that are connected to solid planes (gnd, etc).

pickdropper

Quote from: EBRAddict on March 02, 2017, 10:04:48 PM

I think it's because of the ENIG finish (which is a higher end immersion gold).  The standard HASL finish is a bit easier to solder to.  I'm guessing you'd have a similar experience with ENIG boards from other vendors as well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

madbean

Quote from: darrenw6000 on March 02, 2017, 11:23:45 PM

who does yours then Brian?

Oh I use Elecrow regularly for prototypes (as well as OSH Park). I just meant the purple was more than twice as expensive than their standard colors. Gots no problem with Elecrow quality, though.