News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

KMD KP-300 Stereo Chorus (Boss Clone?)

Started by lego4040, March 02, 2017, 01:47:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lego4040

So for kicks I picked up this pedal, I only have a DIY Helidito ll I built years ago. I wanted a original BossCE-2 but didn't want to spend$$$. This is the one that's built just like the Boss but WHO made it??? There isn't much on the internet on these except for that it could have been made by Boss themselves, Pearl? Doesn't matter, it's a really nice pedal and worth the price. I might Change out the electros for audio grades and some of the chicklets. I did the Fromel mod on my BF-2 Boss Flanger and it did the trick

lego4040

Okay, I took a break from other projects to do more research and found this to be the "Clone of sorts" of the Boss CE-3. I have read what i can find about this pedal and mods to do. Most of it is of coarse a recap of 25 year old electro's, mods for better speed,delay,wet/dry and depth. Instead of the (2)4558's and (1)TL022 this uses NEC 4072C's all around and that I am not sure if its worth or if I can change to Brown Burr OPA2134PA like I see in the other mods

lars

Save yourself some time and don't bother changing the electrolytic caps. At a max 10-9volts those have seen, they will last another 25 years. There is so much hype and bogus info about electrolytic caps. Real world facts show they can last a long, long, long, long time in non-demanding conditions (like in guitar pedals). Changing them based purely on age is a myth that needs to go away.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

lego4040

Yeah I've read that also a while back on my amp forum, best thing to do on the amps is testing the esr and leak tests. If the cap is within specs leave it alone.  I'll test the esr with my cap meter. This pedal is thin sounding, I've traced it out a bitandbits pretty much a CE-3. I'll follow the pork barrel specs and some mods to bring her to life, it did have a great effect when put in line with my Fromel modded boss flanger and Pinnacle

AntKnee

I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

lego4040

You mean the pedal itself?Reverb has a few, KMD delay and phaser has good reviews. I swapped out the mods and my 1uf's came I today to finish up. The way KMD did their Dual OP Amps had me baffled for a few. When I looked at the pin out I realized try just flip flopped the op amps ( hence the word dual )

lego4040

Back together and sounds better then before but nothing to go ranting and raving about. I left the electo's alone except for the in/out signal, those got swapped for films. KMD also had the in and out resistor/ capacitor reversed so I make that swap, for in signal I made it 1mf then 470k resistor and for out its 470k then 1mf. As a stand alone stereo chorus I'd look elsewhere but when added to my BossBF3 it really sweetens up the sound