News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Neutrinos black & Burst

Started by keysandguitars, August 20, 2011, 05:54:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

I was wondering how many of you have built both versions and use both on your pedal boards. I'm going to build the burst tonight and wondered if there's enough of a difference worth having both.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jkokura

Some have reported differences. I think the biggest difference maker is the pot change to be honest. The part changes are fairly minor, and they will affect the circuit a small amount, but not a lot based on my experience.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jtn191

I recall reading someone's build report who built burst, didn't like it, and rebuilt it to black specs. The smaller pot value means it would have less gain/volume--which I honestly wouldn't mind (mine's Burst). Gain on mine usually stays a fair bit below halfway.

The extra diode in the Burst version makes it more dynamic/touch sensitive, while the 2:1 diode setup apparently gives the Black one some moderate asymmetrical clipping...but you could build it to your own specs: diodes affect clipping characteristics while the input cap affects frequency response, pot values affect magnitude of that value, etc.

In my opinion, you're better off building/putting on your board differently voiced overdrives than two slightly tweaked TS clones

keysandguitars

Thanks guys. I appreciate the detail jtn, that's great insight for a noob like me.

DougCFL

I built both and kept both.  The Black is brighter, clearer and cleaner ... a great country tone.  The Burst is more like a TS, but not as much midrange.  I prefer my Clay Jones TS clone over the Burst.  The Black version is on my board and I use it each time I play.  If I were you, I'd build both ... then you have both ;D  Also, I put a 10K resistor across the outside lugs of the 5K tone pot (makes a 3.3K pot) to tame the highs on the Black version.

jtn191

This is the first I've heard of the Clay Jones Overdrive, but it sounds incredible here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX3N0Boxlq8 Did you use this this schem? http://solgrind.wordpress.com/tag/landgraff-dynamic-overdrive/

keysandguitars

I've already etched two boards, so why not I guess ;D.

I've never heard the Clay Jones OD, but agree with jtn, that thing sounds great. Thanks for the additional info Doug.