News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best gated fuzz synth bass PCB a la Brown Dog?

Started by bscur, March 05, 2017, 11:24:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bscur

I've made the move to bass, or at least added that to my playing and I want to build a pedal like the Brown Dog (discontinued) gated fuzz for a synthy bass sound. Are there any good PCB projects out there?
Thanks

johnk

i've made few Chunk Systems pedals:

pcb layout:

i also built their Agent 00Funk:

beneharris

bluescage

johnk

AntKnee

There's a layout on tagboard, if you're ok with a vero project.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

alanp

Any bass players on here tried the Lovetone Big Cheese? That does a nice gated guitar, don't know about bass. Plus it has other modes, too.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

johnk

Quote from: alanp on March 06, 2017, 08:47:43 PM
Any bass players on here tried the Lovetone Big Cheese? That does a nice gated guitar, don't know about bass. Plus it has other modes, too.

yes, i've built one but i added a bass ("fat") boost to mine and it sounds great for bass that way.

here's a quick & dirty clip noodling and trying different settings:

https://soundcloud.com/johnk_10/bigcheesebass

LaceSensor

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thesameage

Very nice! I'm a bass player and would love to build either the Brown Dog or Agent 00Funk... or a 2 in one.

What is the Agent 00Funk closest to?

thesameage

You might want to look into the Uboat by Merlin: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/uboat.html

I bought one from Jimilee recently and didn't have a chance to try it till tonight. Really rich and great octave synth sound out of it. Probably not as nuanced as the Brown Dog Agent 00Funk, but sounds really good.

I still need a good Envelope for bass. Any ideas? I have a nautilus, but it's a little unpredictable live. Too peaky.