News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tap Tempo Cardinal Questions YET MORE ADDED

Started by Philthy, March 08, 2017, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philthy

Hi Guys,

Would you guys recommend externally mounting the volume and balance pots on the TT cardinal?

If not, "are they set and forget" and so can be replaced with a R rather than a trimmer?

Thanks

HamSandwich

I prefer volume knobs on my tremolo, but it's up to you.

m-Kresol

i have the rate external and that's obsolete. I should have put the volume external since the three modes are a bit different in overall volume. The balance is internal for me put to centre position. never touched it.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

midwayfair

If you plan on using it almost exclusively in harmonic mode, the balance is best inside because there's basically one perfect setting and a bunch of other okay settings.

There is a ~3dB difference in volume between the harmonic and full range modes, and +6dB above 600Hz for the bright mode. The volume is almost certainly necessary unless you plan on hardwiring the mode switch.

The rate knob is needed if you want to be sure you have access to really slow and really fast modes since it's hard to tap them. However, I almost never use it.

And concentric pots are extremely useful. :)

Philthy

ok thanks Jon and others
I think I'll put them all on the outside

HamSandwich

HamSandwich

The balance isn't on the tap tempo is it? Isn't it only on the other one?

midwayfair

Quote from: HamSandwich on March 10, 2017, 05:57:19 AM
The balance isn't on the tap tempo is it? Isn't it only on the other one?

The wave distort function of the TapLFO chip is the duty cycle. It's not exactly the same because in the analog version the trimpot is after the LFO generation and I'm not sure it can still be called a duty cycle at that point, but it's close enough to give them the same name of "balance" given that the effect is similar.

Philthy

Another question:

The build doc calls up the hook ups for the Dpdt switch, using the optical bypass, as follows:

6 3
5 2
4 1

Yet my pcb had no pad 5?

Appreciate it if someone could clarify this for me.

flanagan0718

The doc says that lug 5 of the foot switch is wired to the output jack tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Philthy

:-[
I need a Homer 'doh' emoticon...
thanks

midwayfair

Quote from: Philthy on March 14, 2017, 02:58:27 AM
:-[
I need a Homer 'doh' emoticon...
thanks

Don't feel bad, the build doc is excessively thorough, so it's easy to miss stuff. :)

Philthy

Guys,

If I use 2n5485s for q1 to q3 do need to do any other mods? Bias still 6v ?

Also I can only source a 5mm RIL. Will this be ok?

Cheers

midwayfair

Quote from: Philthy on March 18, 2017, 10:03:39 AM
Guys,

If I use 2n5485s for q1 to q3 do need to do any other mods? Bias still 6v ?

Also I can only source a 5mm RIL. Will this be ok?

Cheers

The 6V bias is just a suggested setting that produces a particular amount of gain that I thought sounded good. Technically it will also affect how the clipping sounds, but a lot of people like to set theirs to be cleaner anyway. Use 6V as a starting point, and raise or lower one stage or the other as needed. The drain is trimmed so you'll be covered with a pretty wide range of FETs.

The size of an LED doesn't affect its performance -- the color is a product of the Fv, so just make sure you are following the recommended colors.

Philthy