News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy with dual MN3005 and modulation

Started by Boba7, March 16, 2017, 02:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boba7

So here's another Aquaboy!

It was quite a lot of work I must admit, but what a BEAUTIFUL delay!

It runs at 15v from a Road rage board, except for the modulation board and the bypass board that run at 9v. The depth pot is 500kb (I used a tayda LDR and red led) with R8 being 1M and R5 2k I believe (faster speed). The modulation is footswitchable. The on/off led also indicates the modulation rate.
On the delay board, C10 is 220nf (standard), R13 and 14 are 56k (giving 7.5v on pin7 of the SA571n), and I've replaced R30 with a 100k trimpot.

I started with just one MN3005 chip, biased it and then decided to add another one with a daughterboard. It was fairly easy to bias, although it took quite some time. The headroom is great I think.

And the sound is just so beautiful, loads of mids (compared to a dark voiced PT2399 delay), a little grainy, a great character. I will oscillate but not until the feedback pot is around 3 (depending also on the time pot of course). The modulation is beautiful too, and much necessary in my opinion to give more space and magic to the repeats.

It was a long build, but not too difficult, and I must say again I'm very impressed with the boards. What a great job, THANKS!!

Decided to go for a reverse enclosure, not entirely sure I should have, it looked better in my mind, but oh well, it just sounds so great. Stazon ink and stamps, a few layers of coat, that's it. Oh yeah and of course, top jacks! :)

dan.schumaker

Looks great!  Looks like you are the first one to add a dual MN3005 board to your build.  There is a lot of awesome delay going on in a small box  :)

bsoncini

Nice. I'm gonna need to try this with mine.

cajone5

CurlyMo

That. Is. Awesome.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Philthy

Jmilla

That is awesome, I'm too chicken to try one of these.

JC103

What does the extra MN3005 do for the sound? Longer max delay time or more headroom?

AntKnee

I like how you used the bottom of the enclosure as the top. Interesting idea.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

jubal81

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

LaceSensor

Boba7

Thanks guys!

Forgot to say the bypass board is from TH Custom and was used in 2 different builds some time ago, hence the slightly burnt pads...

Quote from: JC103 on March 17, 2017, 12:52:06 AM
What does the extra MN3005 do for the sound? Longer max delay time or more headroom?

With only one chip the maximum "clean" delay time was something like 270ms, now it's around 550ms without too much aliasing noise. I could definitely see the charm of having only 300ms or so but decided that I wanted more... :)

bluescage

Dminner

What size enclosure is that?  I have never seen a smaller one with 6 screws.

Cortexturizer

https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams