News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Pork Barrel, no effect

Started by vinylkey, March 18, 2017, 12:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinylkey

I've gone through and checked all my resistor values and component orientation, still getting no effect, and some wonky voltage readings.  I haven't wired up R9 yet (planning on putting in a vibe switch) but if I place the resistor in the holes, I still get dry signal with the effect engaged. The rate LED lights up and changes with the Rate knob.

Here are my IC voltage readings:

IC1IC2IC3IC4
2.1708.64oscillates
2.171.570oscillates
2.178.64275mv, osciilates4.58
2.184.592.75, oscillatesoscillates

Transistor voltages:

Q1Q2Q3Q4Q5
C8.818.818.818.62   7.4
B1.922.091.98oscillates   350 mv
E1.421.541.46oscillates   0

V+ measured at the board is 9.08 (coming from a wall wart)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

bsoncini

You might need to redo some of your solder joints. Notably the transistor and diode in the top right in the first photo. And some of the resistor a below the v3207.

A good solder joint should look like this
http://diy.koenigs.dk/wp-content/uploads//2014/02/f07cf7b0d360dfc9184fac3b5c59254a92f8f56b.png

Might wanna socket your transistors in the future. It's possible to get a bad one or fake. Or that you fry it while soldering.

And build yourself an audio probe.

somnif

Its fairly unlikely with the coolaudio chips, but are you 100% sure your BBD is legitimate? I've gotten burned by ebay 3007's in the past. (Even if they were real chips they shipped them on styrofoam, poor things were toast)

hoodoo

Hey mate, check the build doc. There is a resistor linking pins on an IC, that you might need.

vinylkey

Quote from: hoodoo on March 18, 2017, 10:15:30 PM
Hey mate, check the build doc. There is a resistor linking pins on an IC, that you might need.

R9? I don't have that in yet because I'm planning on doing the Vibe switch mod.

Quote from: somnif on March 18, 2017, 10:13:15 PM
Its fairly unlikely with the coolaudio chips, but are you 100% sure your BBD is legitimate? I've gotten burned by ebay 3007's in the past. (Even if they were real chips they shipped them on styrofoam, poor things were toast)

I'm pretty sure I got them from Smallbear, but I don't know how likely a dead or counterfeit chip is from them. Unfortunately, I didn't order any spares, so I can't check with another one yet.

Quote from: bsoncini on March 18, 2017, 02:05:29 PM
You might need to redo some of your solder joints. Notably the transistor and diode in the top right in the first photo. And some of the resistor a below the v3207.

A good solder joint should look like this
http://diy.koenigs.dk/wp-content/uploads//2014/02/f07cf7b0d360dfc9184fac3b5c59254a92f8f56b.png

Might wanna socket your transistors in the future. It's possible to get a bad one or fake. Or that you fry it while soldering.

And build yourself an audio probe.

Thanks for the tips! I'll redo some of the poor solder joints and see what happens. I can make an audio probe and see where the effect signal starts to die.

somnif

Quote from: vinylkey on March 19, 2017, 01:01:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I got them from Smallbear, but I don't know how likely a dead or counterfeit chip is from them. Unfortunately, I didn't order any spares, so I can't check with another one yet.

If its from Smallbear its a legit chip. There is a small chance it may have been damaged on installation, but that is a bottom of the list sort of error in figuring out the problem. Definitely recheck all the solder joints, and look carefully to make sure there aren't any hair-fine bridges anywhere.

Also, is smallbear where you got the diffuse blue LED? I've wanted a few of those in the past but my usual suppliers don't carry them (that I know of, anyway)

vinylkey

Quote from: somnif on March 19, 2017, 03:43:06 PM
Quote from: vinylkey on March 19, 2017, 01:01:35 PM

If its from Smallbear its a legit chip. There is a small chance it may have been damaged on installation, but that is a bottom of the list sort of error in figuring out the problem. Definitely recheck all the solder joints, and look carefully to make sure there aren't any hair-fine bridges anywhere.

Also, is smallbear where you got the diffuse blue LED? I've wanted a few of those in the past but my usual suppliers don't carry them (that I know of, anyway)

I think I got the diffuse LEDs from Mouser.

I reflowed a handful of the solder joints on the board, and got wet signal to come through! At first I was worried, because the wet signal still didn't have any effect. So fun fact: you don't get any effect when a trim pot that controls the effect level is turned down all the way  ::)

Thanks for all the help, I'm glad to finally have this thing working!

mrclean77

So, with the rev.1 boards - the R29 jumper; 10k across IC4 pin 4-5 fix is still required???

TIA everyone

mrclean77

Bumping again instead of making a new thread.

-Rate led stays lit, not changing w rate control
-no effect unless I strum then manually rotate depth control back n forth
-audio probe didn't reveal anything
-could not see any solder bridges
-jumper and 10k across pins 4-5 as per instructions

I'm betting a piece of unchewed bubble gum this is a simple fix, but it's whooping me so far. TIA

mrclean77

Ok, so if you have the "rev.1" board - DON'T do the fix on page 10.

I thought I had saved the most updated pdf guide...nope.

Ugh.