News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Where to harvest BBDs

Started by AntKnee, March 20, 2017, 01:52:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

It was mentioned in another thread that MN3007s are harvested from old karaoke machines, and it got me wondering what kind of stuff to keep an eye out for. If anyone knows which non-pedal related electronics have BBD chips in them, please chime in.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

somnif

Audio devices that had a use for a chorus-y type effect in the days before digital processing was the cheaper option.

So, old karaoke boxes and PA systems are a good place to look. Might find the 3005's or 8's in boxes that have an echo option, though that is likely a smaller subset of scrap. These were more popular in Asian communities in the time frame in question, one reason its so much more likely to find recycled chips from China or Japan (the other being they just have more electronic scrapping than we do stateside). I suppose another option would be kids "voice modulator" toys of that era.

I've also read that BBDs were used in "Time compression of telephone conversations" but I have little to no experience with boards of this type, so no idea how common that use was. Another use was "Variable signal control of amplitude or of equalization filters", but again, I don't know how common that was. May be worth digging a bit I suppose.

flanagan0718

Some old VCRs had them too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lars

Pretty much anything made in the 80's that had some kind of "delay" adjustment. I found an Archer 15-1278 Video Sound Processor at Goodwill that had a delay knob on the back and it yielded both an MN3007 and MN3006 inside, as well as a ton of 1458's and a Dolby Noise Reduction chip.
It was $5.99.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

stecykmi

imho, its not worth buying old equipment to pull the chips, it's only worth it if you have access to a lot of them for free for some reason or you are specifically looking for a rarer chip like the SAD-1024 or mn3004 or something, most likely for a repair. it's far more reliable just to buy new xvive mn3005s.

somnif

Quote from: stecykmi on March 25, 2017, 02:04:13 AM
imho, its not worth buying old equipment to pull the chips, it's only worth it if you have access to a lot of them for free for some reason or you are specifically looking for a rarer chip like the SAD-1024 or mn3004 or something, most likely for a repair. it's far more reliable just to buy new xvive mn3005s.

Apparently my local electronics shop has the NTE rebranded MN3004 on the shelf. Neat, what on earth were they used in? (Same place I got my mn3007 for my last chorus build actually)

stecykmi

Quote from: somnif on March 25, 2017, 04:46:28 AM
Quote from: stecykmi on March 25, 2017, 02:04:13 AM

Apparently my local electronics shop has the NTE rebranded MN3004 on the shelf. Neat, what on earth were they used in? (Same place I got my mn3007 for my last chorus build actually)

not much diy use, they are used for chorus effects mostly since they are only 512 stage. they show up in old synths and rack gear.

Scruffie

Also because of the inherent gain loss they end up being pretty noisy as far as BBDs go from the gain recovery needed.

I agree it's a fairly fruitless endeavour to go hunting for this stuff unless you happen to see something particularly cheap that looks promising.

Always research what you purchase too, one man's junk is another's gold and it might turn out to be more valuable than the BBD you hope to strip from it.
Works at Lectric-FX

lars

The Archer 277-132 electronic reverb unit is another source. It has an SAD-1024 in it and still regularly shows up on Ebay for under $40.
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....