News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

total recall ground in enclosure with others

Started by Vacuumdust, March 23, 2017, 06:48:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vacuumdust

Trying to wrap my head around a grounding scheme.  I have a large enclosure with 5 pedals in it.  4 are standard center pin neg, each with its own power jack and a one spot powering them all.  Now i've finished my total recall and of course it will have it's own power jack which is isolated from chassis like the rest.  However, all in/out jacks are grounded to chassis(each circuit has it's own jacks, that way i can route them any way) including TR.  I haven't turned it all on yet...I could isolate the TR jacks but still when you patch from one to the next you're connecting the sleeve of patch cable from neg ground to pos ground or vice versa.  Obviously guys have been using DMM's for decades with other standard pedals?  Ground is ground?

madbean

As long as your DC jacks are isolated from the enclosure (as they should always be) it's not an issue. Ground is ground. Negative ground and positive ground are just descriptive terms to identify + or - dc voltage. But, they are only + or - minus relative to ground which is neutral. Your audio jacks should be grounded, though. Either directly or through sleeve connections to grounding points on the circuits. As long as there is one solid connection between the enclosure and ground and all the audio jack sleeves have continuity with that ground then you are good.

Also, if you are using a One Spot, you actually only need one jack for your negative ground circuits since the outputs on the One Spot are not isolated. Each of the neg/g circuits could connect to that one jack.

Vacuumdust

Thank you!  That explains it!  Yes, i was originally going to go with one common dc jack for the 4 pedals that share but was going to have some very long runs of wire...this way each jack can be close(ish) to it's circuit.  Thanks for your site and all the knowledge.