News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mudbunny (green russian specs) my first pedal

Started by oip, March 27, 2017, 03:56:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oip

hey folks

had a lot of fun (and many mistakes) making this, my first pre-fab PCB, first etch and first proper enclosure with a stomp switch.  learned heaps and keen to move on to the next one!  i love how much problem solving and general mixture of creativity and tech is involved.

many thanks to this forum for etching and painting tutorials in particular.  i did a bunch of reading here and around while gathering parts.

cheers!

287m

first etch? you make me jealous.  :'( hahaha
if im the jury, you charged guilty for good build
also, welcome to madbean

Boba7

Nope, a first pedal just cannot look that good!! Ahah you should see mine... :)
AMAZING job!

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts

jimilee

Very cool. One of my favorite fuzz pedals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

AntKnee

Great job. For a first build, you really jumped in, and it came out very good!

The mudbunny is a great sounding pedal and with multiple ways to build it, you may end up with 2 or 3 of them. Which specs did you build it with?
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

m-Kresol

wow. my first etch wasn't even half as clean and don't get me started on my first wiring job.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

blearyeyes

Quote from: m-Kresol on March 27, 2017, 10:05:01 AM
wow. my first etch wasn't even half as clean and don't get me started on my first wiring job.

Great job all around man, my first pedal was a mess. But by golly I forced it to work in spite of myself. I thought I knew how to solder. HA!  I haven't even ventured to try an etch. I have all the materials ready to go.

selfdestroyer

Great job! Love that font choice and that etch came out great.

Definitely something to be proud of.

Cody

oip

thanks very much everyone!  really appreciated. 

selfdestroyer thanks in particular for the etch and paint tutorials they account for a very large percentage of the enclosure working out.  (like high 90s)

QuoteThe mudbunny is a great sounding pedal and with multiple ways to build it, you may end up with 2 or 3 of them. Which specs did you build it with?

part of the desire to build one came from playing a skreddy perestroika in a shop which sounded just crazy good, so i tried to build with the civil war specs, ended up being mostly green russian as i couldn't find the right caps.  definitely some room for variation, i socketed the transistors and diodes and next time i would like to try a switch for the tone circuit and maybe a few more things. 

first power up sounded awful which was a huge bummer as i had spent almost two full days on it, took some deep breaths and the time to clean up all the mess from the build - turns out the diodes which i had originally used were just ruining the sound.  took them out and it roared into life, so i replaced them and now it sounds like what i think it is supposed to sound like.  i can't crank it in my little apartment but going to head off to a rehearsal studio next weekend and see what it is like at proper volumes...

cheers again!

Lubdar

(--c^.^)--c

bluescage

mrclean77

Whoah. Looking at that build wouldn't prompt anyone to think there are that many "first"s involved. Nice etch and nice build!

Did you go by Cody's/Selfdestroyer's etching tutorial?

oip

many thanks! 

Quote from: mrclean77 on March 28, 2017, 05:51:19 AM
Whoah. Looking at that build wouldn't prompt anyone to think there are that many "first"s involved. Nice etch and nice build!

Did you go by Cody's/Selfdestroyer's etching tutorial?

yup followed those etching and painting guides quite closely.  i had a try at etching a random pattern a few weeks ago with caustic so i kinda knew what to expect, though the caustic freaked me out so i ended up grabbing some ferric chloride instead, and the reverse etch with ferric was a different feeling.  my plan was to get some offcut aluminium panels and practice everything but i got impatient and went for it.  the painting and drilling was entertaining.  so many mistakes (holes not quite centered, one hole a full step too big, paint uneven, some parts dripping, left painted base to dry.. in the rain) but it somehow turned out looking solid.  just fun, literally every step was a learning experience, feels good on the brain

got some more PCBs on the way and about to put in a tayda order so i'm keen to refine this all for rounds 2-3