News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NMD? (I need a new Multimeter)

Started by Timko, March 29, 2017, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timko

When I started on this journey of pedal building, I made sure to grab the essential components.  One of which is a Multimeter.  I looked on Amazon, and found Mastech one.  This one seemed to be a good price and had tons of functions:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JQ4O2U/ref=s9_acsd_hps_bw_c_x_1_w

A couple of years later, and my multimeter is starting to go a bit haywire.  I'll often turn the big dial to a particular function, and the functionality goes in and out.  For example, if I turn it to test resistance, sometimes it jumps to hFE, sometimes to capacitance.  When measuring values, sometimes it take a long time to settle down; resistors when measured can take up to a minute to zero in on the value.  So I'm starting to look at getting another one (potentially having this as a backup or a 2nd) and wanted to see what the community's experience was.

I know these are the functions I 100% use:

* Resistance
* Continuity
* Fwd Voltage on Diodes
* Capacitance
* DC Voltage
* hFE for Transistors (I have a board I built to test this so it's not mandatory)
* DC Amperage

The multimeter has all of that + AC Voltage/Amperage (I don't use that) as well as some sort of frequency tester.

I know that multimeters can get expensive, but I'm sure spending more money on one would be something of better quality, but I don't know if I need something in the high end range like a Fluke considering I build 3 pedals a month max (more like 20 a year on average).  I have a budget where I could afford something in the $150 range, (That's the cost of a Fluke 117), but there's loads of options in the $50 range too and I wanted to see if there's something that would suit my needs.

pickdropper

In that price range, you might be able to find a used Fluke 189 or 89 V.  Both are very nice meters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

pickdropper

Sorry, I just reread your post and picked up that you can afford the Fluke but would prefer something cheaper.  I'll leave those suggestions to others.

Function f(x)

flanagan0718

Hey Tim,
    I have the same mestech multi meter with the same issues. It sucked! I did get another meter...this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SU0W2C6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1. It works really well. The only thing it doesn't have is an hfe reader. I held onto the Mestech and still use it for hfe testing. I also use a crappy HFT meter (this one http://www.harborfreight.com/7-function-multimeter-98025.html) incase i want to A/B readings.

I do recommend the Tekpower meter. it has served me well for almost 2 years now. Plus it's pretty inexpensive too!

Timko

Quote from: pickdropper on March 29, 2017, 11:44:01 AM
Sorry, I just reread your post and picked up that you can afford the Fluke but would prefer something cheaper.  I'll leave those suggestions to others.

I don't mind spending the money on a Fluke, but is it something I would benefit from?  I can buy a lot of electrolytic caps for the extra $100 :).

somnif

I'm using a 35$ VC97 that fits those qualifications. While a little fuzzy on accuracy (capacitance wanders a bit) it has served my pedal building needs just fine. Even has a frequency counter for biasing flangers, and came with a thermocouple so I could figure out just how wildly inaccurate my Oven's temp settings were.

pickdropper

Quote from: Timko on March 29, 2017, 11:52:10 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on March 29, 2017, 11:44:01 AM

I don't mind spending the money on a Fluke, but is it something I would benefit from?  I can buy a lot of electrolytic caps for the extra $100 :).

I think everybody has to figure out what things are worth to them.  For me, I got a nicer Fluke with the hope that it will last me many many years.

Function f(x)

culturejam

I got an Extech MN47 from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Extech-Instruments-MN47-Function-MultiMeter/dp/B003WFJ0UG

Plenty good enough for what I'm doing, and I use it 100% for pedal circuit testing and part value verification. It doesn't measure transistor gain, but I have a separate tester for that.

I won't cut it for heavy field use, but it's good enough (and then some) for most hobbyists. The non-contact voltage detection is also handy if you're replacing household outlets or similar.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lego4040

I have Fluke 179 and that's because my boss got wacked on a 208/230 line, The socket inside failed and he thought line was dead so he threw it out. I rebuilt it and know have it at home for years. If you got $200 to drop on a fluke go ahead, youll have it for live. Other wise I Extech would be my next choice http://www.extech.com/display/?id=14823

EBRAddict

Check eBay for used Fluke meters. I picked up a nearly new model 287 for a couple hundred bucks shipped.

You really have to watch for deals and be patient. The model 87V is very popular and commands a premium on eBay and in pawn shops. The lesser-known models are just as well-made and don't get bid up as high. Don't be afraid to buy used Fluke meters, they are industrial grade and meant to last a long, long time.

AntKnee

Blast! I just bought that same Mastech one a couple months back. I'll just use it till it goes bad and get another one. Its working fine now, thpugh its a little slow on measurements.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

flanagan0718

Quote from: AntKnee on March 29, 2017, 06:44:55 PM
Blast! I just bought that same Mastech one a couple months back. I'll just use it till it goes bad and get another one. Its working fine now, thpugh its a little slow on measurements.

Yours might be fine. I think its the switch that went / is going bad on mine and Tim's. Hopefully they upgraded / replaced the switch on it.

blearyeyes

Quote from: flanagan0718 on March 30, 2017, 05:56:23 AM
Quote from: AntKnee on March 29, 2017, 06:44:55 PM

Yours might be fine. I think its the switch that went / is going bad on mine and Tim's. Hopefully they upgraded / replaced the switch on it.

I got this for 12 US and it seems to work really well for testing components.  It goes lower than my VC97 for measuring CAPs  plus the lever socket thingy makes life easy.  That is the real technical term for those blue lever socket thingies.  It's not a DMM but it is a good supplemental  device.

alanp

Quote from: blearyeyes on March 30, 2017, 10:02:08 AM
I got this for 12 US and it seems to work really well for testing components.  It goes lower than my VC97 for measuring CAPs  plus the lever socket thingy makes life easy.  That is the real technical term for those blue lever socket thingies.  It's not a DMM but it is a good supplemental  device.

ZIF socket. (Zero Insertion Force.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

OK a ZIF blue lever socket thingy.