News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Who wants to get tiny?

Started by madbean, August 22, 2011, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Okay, so I've decided we should do an entire series of these. I'm think at least one project from every category of effect- compression, delay, boost, fuzz, overdrive, distortion, modulation, filter, buffer. I'm also thinking about drawing up plans for making your own custom multi-effect unit with them. So, say plans for putting 7 or 8 of these in a 1590DD enclosure (or you could put them in their own 1590As). Maybe include a custom power unit with a small transformer to power the whole thing, etc.etc. This could be a killer addition to the projects list.

Here are my initial ideas.
Compression - some type of optical compressor,
Delay - PT2399 with modulation,
Boost - probably the FatPants (re-designed board),
Fuzz - NPN Fuzz Face,
Overdrive - not sure yet, although the Tube Screamer would be one. Maybe one other.
Distortion - maybe the Muff Fuzz. How about both the transistor and IC versions on one board? Or maybe the IC Big Muff instead?
Modulation - a tremolo and something else. A vibrato or phaser, I guess
Filter - I'm really tempted with the SWAW, but I'll have to think about it. What other kinds of filters would be desirable?
Buffer - got plans on this one already.

Any feedback?

irmcdermott

I think this sounds pretty killer! Excited to see what comes of these!

mjcyates

Great idea! For distortion I would rather see something along the lines of the Barber Dirty Bomb or Suhr Riot. Not clones but something similar.

jimmybjj

I think the multieffects idea is great. Probably getting a little to involved but maybe some type of modular system, so we can change effects.

I'm really looking forward to a Phaser. It's something that isn't currently in your current lineup so I think it would probably do well.
Pcbs no longer available

Ettore_M

An entire series of mini pedals?  :o  That's a great idea!
I can't wait for its completion!  ;D
" I would first try what I call The American Approach, which is simply this: "If X is good, then 2X simply HAS TO BE twice as good."  ;D "
- Culturejam

thetrend77

Haberdasher

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jkokura

Modulation - Chorus! Trem and chorus would be cool. All the methods for Phase I know of would be very difficult to make fit. The methods for Vibe would be possible though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

greyscales

I would love to see some 1590A action. I've been looking for something to try out, and a delay, phaser, buffer, or boost would be perfect.

Maybe a booster with switchable treble, mid, and full boost. That's just me, though.

madbean

Quote from: jkokura on August 24, 2011, 10:20:23 AM
Modulation - Chorus! Trem and chorus would be cool. All the methods for Phase I know of would be very difficult to make fit. The methods for Vibe would be possible though.

Jacob

Anything OTA is probably out of the question, unless it was something to emulate the Phase 45. I don't think you could fit more than one 13700 in a 1590A (which also requires a dual for I/O and another dual for LFO).

Then again...I will probably try anyway.

redbean

I'd REALLY like to build a compressor/limiter and an envelope filter.

The compressor/limiter is something I need ASAP before any other type of pedal. The envelope filter is something I need to get on the bus to Funkytown.  ;D

es là-bas!!

eldanko

When I was at the Amp Expo in Nashville this past weekend, I saw a board in the Cusack Effects room that piqued my interest.  He had several effects built into 1590A boxes, but none of them had stomp switches on them; they were permanently engaged, and the boxes were all routed through one of his Pedalboard Tamer bypass loopers.  So... for guys who run a looper on their board, that might open up a few more possibilities for what you can fit into a box. 

If I'm not mistaken, he had actually crammed some version of a Tap-A-Delay into a 1590LB, which was pretty impressive to say the least.
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

jkokura

At that rate, you may as well build the effects right into an enclosure like the one that houses the pedalboard tamer. All those little enclosures are expensive...

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

eldanko

Quote from: jkokura on August 24, 2011, 04:15:27 PM
At that rate, you may as well build the effects right into an enclosure like the one that houses the pedalboard tamer. All those little enclosures are expensive...

Jacob

Agreed... unless you're the obsessive-compulsive type that likes to swap pedals in and out of order...

...like people who build their own pedals probably do...   :)

...or I'm the only one.   :-\
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

T_MBaker

This is a crazy cool idea!!!