Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Who wants to get tiny?

Started by madbean, August 22, 2011, 05:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petesz

Quote from: eldanko on August 24, 2011, 04:19:12 PM
Quote from: jkokura on August 24, 2011, 04:15:27 PM
At that rate, you may as well build the effects right into an enclosure like the one that houses the pedalboard tamer. All those little enclosures are expensive...

Jacob

Agreed... unless you're the obsessive-compulsive type that likes to swap pedals in and out of order...

...like people who build their own pedals probably do...   :)

...or I'm the only one.   :-\

I was thinking.. you could build the little effects into say a 1590DD but include in and out jacks for every effect then use patch leads to swap the order of effects around. I reckon that'd be pretty kewl.

As for distortion i reckon the IC Big Muff or as someone else said if its possible to do like a simplified Riot..
Mini modulation would be rad.

eldanko

Hey MB -

It finally hit me what I'd like to see... a tiny EQ.  Just a little 3-band or something that can be thrown after drives, etc.  I think that'd be incredibly useful.  Just a thought!
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense

madbean

Quote from: eldanko on August 26, 2011, 07:00:54 AM
Hey MB -

It finally hit me what I'd like to see... a tiny EQ.  Just a little 3-band or something that can be thrown after drives, etc.  I think that'd be incredibly useful.  Just a thought!

That's a really good idea. I will add that to the list.

raulduke

This tiny pedal range sounds well cool.

People (including madbean) have mentioned making a 'modular' kind of effects system where you can mix and swap out effects easily.

I have a preliminary idea for this that might be pretty cool.... bear with me:

This would be the switching box for the system:

-> A row of 3PDT footswitches (say 4) are connected up together in a box just like a chain of effects in series. These 3PDT can have status LED's etc (like normal 3PDT wiring).

So the chain would be: In Jack -> F/Switch 1 -> F/Switch 2 -> F/Switch 3 -> etc -> Out Jack

-> A power supply that can easily provide power for the required number of pedals is also in this box with the footswitches.

-> FX In, FX Out, 9V and Gnd connections are taken from each of the 3PDT's and the PSU and wired up to to 5-Way DIN Connectors (available widely and cheaply as they are used for MIDI) for each 3PDT footswitch.

These would be the effects modules:

-> 1590A enclosures are used to house the FX circuits (modules).

-> External connections on the 1590A will be the FX controls (potentiometers, switches etc.) and a 5 Way DIN connector. No power connector, input/output jacks or 3PDT footswitch is necessary.

-> These 1590A modules can then be easily plugged in to the effects chain by connecting the module to the required 3PDT on the switching box.

-> The modules would be cheaper to build (no 3PDT, Jacks etc.) than standard pedals, plus there would be more room for more advanced circuitry without the footswitch, jacks etc.

This is just an idea I had but I see no reason why it would not work. Noise may be an issue but I think 5 core screened cable for the module/switching box interconnects would probably be ok.

Please let me know if you think this is an ok idea or totally stupid ha ha!

cjkbug

Quote from: madbean on August 24, 2011, 07:52:20 AMWhat other kinds of filters would be desirable?

Any feedback?

maybe a fixed position wah.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

raulduke - that's pretty spot on to one application I was considering. The key factor here is that they will be designed in such a way so that you can choose how to configure them to suit your needs. The simplest would be one effect in one 1590A. Next would be a few in a 1590BB or 1590D. And a full on modular system would be similar to what you are describing. Obviously you can do this with the existing MB boards, but the main benefit is the small form factor of these newer designs.

I've also got some other ideas on how to handle the I/O part, too. If you take out the power, switch and I/O of building suddenly it opens up a lot more possibility. The one cable/DIN connector is definitely a plus and I will be sure to look into that. Also, this will tie into a new kind-of "master controller" project I've been working on.

You guys can expect a lot more on this soon. I'm fully committing some time and resources to making this modular approach an option.

raulduke

Brilliant news madbean. Im glad to hear that you have the same kind of thing in mind.

Builds would certainly be a lot cheaper for us guys without 3PDT's etc. being thrown in every build.

And how many of us actually use all our builds at the same time anyway?

I think I might just go ahead and have a go with the DIN connector idea just as a proof of concept.

It should be relatively simple.

aziltz

please name the "master controller" project, "MASTER EXPLODER"

madbean

Quote from: aziltz on August 26, 2011, 11:03:50 AM
please name the "master controller" project, "MASTER EXPLODER"

Done!

Haberdasher

please name the swaw, "GHETTO BOOTY"
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

k.rock!

God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

madbean

I'm for sure naming the Fuzz Face "stubble" and the Rat "runt".

bigmufffuzzwizz

I love the mini board series idea!! That would be super sick if you do a SWAW in a 1590a...
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals