Honey dripper 2015 half works

Started by jimilee, April 01, 2017, 11:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I have yeh and bow, but no wah and aehh
Which section did I screw up?

IC 3 Voltages are the only ones that are off
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

I'll look over it more carefully later today. What diodes are those?

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on April 01, 2017, 01:15:40 PM
I'll look over it more carefully later today. What diodes are those?
1n914

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

madbean

Yeah those are definitely not 1n914. They are from Tayda, aren't they? Not shaming...just verifying :)

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on April 01, 2017, 03:31:10 PM
Yeah those are definitely not 1n914. They are from Tayda, aren't they? Not shaming...just verifying :)
They are, now I have to make sure.

madbean

That's going to be part of the problem my guess. If you need some 1n914 I can send you a handful. I have thousands. But, not sure that's all that's going on.

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on April 01, 2017, 03:36:52 PM
That's going to be part of the problem my guess. If you need some 1n914 I can send you a handful. I have thousands. But, not sure that's all that's going on.
Yes please. I am utterly confused as to what I have then. I can completely agree with you.

somnif

Gulp, those look like the 914s I have as well... that I just finished populating a board with. Am I screwed as well?

madbean

The 1n914 is where a lot of the signal rectification happens on the envelope follower and those are some of the ones used on IC3. I'll go back and double check my voltages to make sure my list is accurate.

As far as those particular diodes, I have seen the supposed 1n914 from Tayda cause problems with other builds (specifically the Rustbucket). So, it's hard to say if that's the issue or not (without testing of forward voltage, etc, I can't really say for sure)...no question that those are not 1n914, though. In general, I advise NOT buying diodes/ICs/transistors from Tayda. You just don't know what you are going to get.

Anyway, I will re-check my voltages and give an update soon.

somnif

My Tayda yellow-band "914s" have a Vf of about .54-.56, which yeah... that's a bit low. Curses.

Stomptown

Quote from: madbean on April 01, 2017, 05:33:59 PM
The 1n914 is where a lot of the signal rectification happens on the envelope follower and those are some of the ones used on IC3. I'll go back and double check my voltages to make sure my list is accurate.

As far as those particular diodes, I have seen the supposed 1n914 from Tayda cause problems with other builds (specifically the Rustbucket).

Hmm.. Could other diodes like 1n4148s cause issues with the rust bucket? I'm pretty sure that's what I used and mine is extremely finicky. Sorry for the detail...

jimilee

Quote from: madbean on April 01, 2017, 05:33:59 PM

As far as those particular diodes, I have seen the supposed 1n914 from Tayda cause problems with other builds (specifically the Rustbucket). So, it's hard to say if that's the issue or not (without testing of forward voltage, etc, I can't really say for sure)...no question that those are not 1n914, though. In general, I advise NOT buying diodes/ICs/transistors from Tayda. You just don't know what you are going to get.

Anyway, I will re-check my voltages and give an update soon.
If I touch R24 or R 25 on the right side, the effects each work, i'm stumped. You think that's the diodes too?

somnif

Quote from: jimilee on April 02, 2017, 10:59:40 AM
If I touch R24 or R 25 on the right side, the effects each work, i'm stumped. You think that's the diodes too?

Do you have a cracked solder joint? I see you have dust covers on the pots but maybe they're shorting somewhere? I've no idea how poking a resistor would affect a circuit  :o Maybe something to do with that via between the two resistors.

jimilee

Quote from: somnif on April 02, 2017, 12:42:42 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 02, 2017, 10:59:40 AM

Do you have a cracked solder joint? I see you have dust covers on the pots but maybe they're shorting somewhere? I've no idea how poking a resistor would affect a circuit  :o Maybe something to do with that via between the two resistors.
It's grounding to me

madbean

Sorry for the lack of update. Went down with the flu on Saturday and it's been kicking my ass. I'll get them as soon as I feel up to it (starting to get a bit better).