News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Weird problem?

Started by giantrobot, August 23, 2011, 06:06:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

Quote from: mgwhit on August 24, 2011, 12:59:54 AM
Apologies if this was mentioned earlier, but does the LED light up when it's in the case?

I don't think he's using an LED... :-\

Man, I would just rewire the switch just like the documentation leaving the LED connections out obviously...

You definitely have a ground issue and I think it's because of the way the grounds are connected...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

mgwhit

The bad wiring can't be in your jacks or the bypass wouldn't work.  It's unlikely to be in your switch or the effect wouldn't work when you isolate the jacks from the enclosure.

Here's the best I've got.  Something in the effect path that shouldn't be contacting the enclosure is.  When you isolate the jacks from the enclosure, then the enclosure itself doesn't have a path to ground, so it doesn't affect the signal.  But as soon as you touch the jacks to the enclosure, the enclosure has path to ground and your effected signal disappears.

I would take a DMM, alligator clip the DMM's ground lead to the enclosure, and, with your jacks isolated from the enclosure, test every point in the effect circuit for continuity to the enclosure.  Maybe there's a point on the back of your board or on one of the pot lugs that is contacting it.  Good luck!

giantrobot

Thats a very good point. I don't think its the back of the PCB because I put electrical tape on the back to avoid that but I gonna check it with the DMM just in case. Do you think the jacks making contact with the pots would cause a problem? They're pretty close to each other.

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

Absolutely! If anything is to make contact with the back of your pots you should always isolate them with something, black tape, foam, or if you wanna go fancy use Barry's pot condoms (i love using these :)): http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1409402

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

mgwhit

Quote from: giantrobot on August 24, 2011, 07:08:16 PM
Do you think the jacks making contact with the pots would cause a problem? They're pretty close to each other.

I still don't think that's your problem, though.  If the tip portion of the jack were contacting the pots, you wouldn't get effected or bypassed output.  If the sleeve (or ring) were touching the pots you'd just be connecting two ground points.

giantrobot

Yo guys I got it workin! I rewired the switch and taped up the back of the PCB and pots. Now it works fine. Thank you all for all the help. You and Madbean seriously rock. Now on to the Firebomb

k.rock!

Awesome :) Glad you got it to work man! Enjoy!

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com