News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1590G build Guide - Moar pedal Diode3 Polarity?

Started by Sky, March 30, 2017, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky

Hi everyone,

As a beginner I tried building the Moar pedal that is used in the tutorial on building 1590G enclosure pedals.  I posted a while back after being stumped when I could not get a signal.  Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to build a testing rig.  I did and I think I discovered my problem, but I am still partially unsure about it so I thought I would seek advice on the issue again. 

The MOAR PCB at the D3 diode indicates a certain polarity with the white strip correct?  From what I understand is that that white strip should indicate the cathode being soldered in that direction.  I did this and then went back and tried some other things and then went back and finally realized in the tutorial the pictures show that specific Diode to be turned around in the other direction. 

I was kind of excited to find this because this would be an easy fix.  I have not soldered it in yet, but with my testing rig the pedal does now in fact work! 

My question of course is ....is this a mistake on the PCB?  I'm still learning to read schematics.  From what I can tell I think it is either a mistake or I am completely wrong about the issue and don't understand what the white line represents.  Haha.  So thank you  to all who read this and take the time to answer this question. 

(Use these links to find the D3)
Moar PDF (PCB and schematic): http://madbeanpedals.com/projects/1590G/Moar.pdf

Moar 1590G build Tutorial (pictures of assembled PCB): http://madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/1590G_BuildGuide.pdf

somnif

Just at a glance, the band on the board matches what's on the schematic, so I'm not sure what may be going on with your case.

madbean

No it's a mistake I made on building the PCB which I forgot to point out and correct in the build doc later on. The diodes should be oriented according to their bands on the silk screen. My mistake was putting in D3 in reverse on the build demonstration. I will make a note of that in the doc and update it. Thanks for the heads-up.

Leevibe

Good job figuring it out! The Moar is a fantastic sounding circuit by the way. Great pick for a first build. I can't wait to see the build report!