News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Firebomb problem

Started by dcribbs1412, July 06, 2010, 07:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dcribbs1412

stecykmi

First thing's first, figure out the switching problem. Double check against your wiring diagram. A perfect circuit is useless if it's not switched correctly. So get at least the bypass working before you move on.

If you have a DMM (if you don't, you should!), check continuity for ground on jacks, switches, pots and on the board (compare to the circuit diagram). Keep an eye out for stuff that's shorted to ground or stuff that's floating when it shouldn't be.

Check the voltage at the drain of each of the mosfets (should be something like 8V, not sure offhand). Then check the voltage at the gate (should be really small, in the mV range). Keep in mind this is my really quick analysis without any numbers so if stuffs really off, don't freak out because I'm not certain.

If you're still stuck, can you post a picture of the solder side of the board? It's probably easier to troubleshoot from that side.

madbean

You've got a solder bridge between the Master vol and one of the led's or the 9v rail, I think. Or, the grounding isn't correct. Those are the only two things I can think of that would make that control affect the LED.

stecykmi is right on. I would disconnect it from the switching altogether and verify that the circuit works correctly first.

dcribbs1412

thanks guys
i'm on it ASAP

PeterMorton

Quote from: madbean on July 07, 2010, 05:40:26 AM
You've got a solder bridge between the Master vol and one of the led's or the 9v rail, I think. Or, the grounding isn't correct. Those are the only two things I can think of that would make that control affect the LED.

stecykmi is right on. I would disconnect it from the switching altogether and verify that the circuit works correctly first.

How do you go about this? With an audio probe?

dcribbs1412

Thanks guys I got it
stecykmi wrote:
QuoteFirst thing's first, figure out the switching problem. Double check against your wiring diagram. A perfect circuit is useless if it's not switched correctly. So get at least the bypass working before you move on.
first problem...wired wrong.... noob mistake :-[
madbean wrote:
QuoteYou've got a solder bridge between the Master vol and one of the led's or the 9v rail, I think. Or, the grounding isn't correct.
yep second problem...grounding not right :-[
thanks for the quick accurate diagnosis gentlemen
your knowledge is greatly appreciated

will post pics as soon ASAP
thanks again

dcribbs1412

Pics of the finished pedal (good enuff 4 rocknroll)
really like the clean boosts this pedal gives
thanks madbean 8)
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/dcribbs1412/pedals/Firebomb/firebomb008.jpg
http://i1018.photobucket.com/albums/af301/dcribbs1412/pedals/Firebomb/firebomb009.jpg

again any and all comments are appreciated
thanks

madbean

Righteous. I love it. What font is that, may I ask?

dcribbs1412

madbean wrote:
QuoteRighteous. I love it. What font is that, may I ask?

thanks
i'm really diggin this pedal ;D
font is JazzText