News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Hi from TRADAmpGuy

Started by TRADAmpGuy, August 24, 2011, 01:08:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRADAmpGuy

Been lurking for a week or two and thought I'd say HI! Been building amps for a few years and a customer of mine turned me onto a Riot pedal of his. I was blown away by the tone... and the price. Cant swing one the easy way, so while looking to see if I could find a schematic I ended up here. Great site and community from what I've seen. Never tried my hand at pedal building but I'm going to give it a go! Unfortunately it looks like I'm also going to have to learn how to etch boards too if I want a Riot clone ;) We'll see how it goes I guess 8)

Anyway, nice to meet all of you and looking forward to my first build. I'm sure I'll have a few questions along the way ;)

TRADAmpGuy AKA Brian

irmcdermott

Hey Brian,

Welcome to the forum! This is a fantastic community of DIYers. If you aren't up for etching yet go check out this thread of a forum member who is selling that unavailable board with 'beans permission.

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=2038.0

mjcyates

TRADAmpGuy

Think I'll try to etch myself... why not jump in head first ;) If I hit bottom, I'll deff check out that option 8)

irmcdermott

Quote from: TRADAmpGuy on August 24, 2011, 01:42:27 AM
Think I'll try to etch myself... why not jump in head first ;) If I hit bottom, I'll deff check out that option 8)

Awesome. I jumped in head first and immediately starting etching my own boards from the beginning as well. Have fun! Ask questions if you have them.

cjkbug

It really a piece of cake. If you can build an amp I think you'll be good to go.
Quote from: TRADAmpGuy on August 24, 2011, 01:42:27 AM
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

madbean

keysandguitars

I'm fairly new myself, but welcome. So far, this forum, Madbean, his boards and his genius rock.

I built a BYOC kit first, found this place through a friend from Australia (chromesphere), and started etching right away. He helped me out big time and convinced me it's cake. I've etched some boards and bought a few from Brian (Madbean) which were top notch. Either way, you can't go wrong if you're on this forum.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

bigmufffuzzwizz

Welcome! Your in the right place for a heap of information and some friendly folks! There's a bunch of great tutorials on how to etch, especially the one on Basic Audio's website. If you have any problems ask and someone will surely help you  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

TRADAmpGuy

Thanks again guys for the warm welcome and encouragement! Perusing Mouser picking out caps and such. Looking at the WIMA 63V x 5mm lead spaced stuff... heard the name mentioned before so I thought I'd give them a whirl. Cant find a 2n2 from them so I'll just grab something else. I'd be interested to hear what some of you guys think of them or if you'd recommend some other brand.

jkokura

I usually use the best economical ones within the statistics. I have a big stock of Topmay box caps from Smallbear.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TRADAmpGuy

OK, not looking for a 2n2... its a 2u2. Should look more closely to the layout with the components outlined.