News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfbox Direct Box

Started by fredwreck, April 13, 2017, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredwreck

After a year of searching for the elusive Triad Magnetics A-11/12j transformer, I finally got one on ebay!  Been wanting to build this for a long time, finally got it done. 

Ed Wolfrum the engineer for Motown and United Sound Studios in Detroit, posted the schematic on his web page after having a falling out with ACME Electronics. 

I dont play Bass as good as James Jamerson, but it sounds amazing!

matmosphere

Nice! Congrats!

Any way I could convince you to post some sounds?

fredwreck

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 13, 2017, 05:21:28 PM
Nice! Congrats!

Any way I could convince you to post some sounds?

Yea for sure.. ill post it soon here.

gordo

What did you use to get the cool raised lettering?
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

karter2000

Looks awesome!  How much did the transformer set you back?

fredwreck

I had it powder coated at a place that does car rims in Glendale.  And the lettering I had Laser etched at a place in LA called thebuildshop.com

fredwreck

Quote from: fredwreck on April 13, 2017, 11:41:17 PM
I had it powder coated at a place that does car rims in Glendale.  And the lettering I had Laser etched at a place in LA called thebuildshop.com

I sniped the transformer on ebay for $170.00, I lucked out, the week after one went for 250 and before that 350.  You just gotta be patient and wait.  There are a couple places online that have a few but they want 375.00 for one.  Im not paying that much for it, ill wait for ebay.  I wanna build another one actually.

somnif

Man at those prices, it's almost worth a shot to try winding your own. Wonder if the ratios and whatnot for this particular can are floating around out there.

fredwreck

Quote from: somnif on April 14, 2017, 12:30:44 AM
Man at those prices, it's almost worth a shot to try winding your own. Wonder if the ratios and whatnot for this particular can are floating around out there.

Maybe.. but it wont be the same as the original.. There's a metal called Molybdenum that they used to make these with, I guess its outlawed now, but if you want to have that vintage sound you gotta use the Old Stock... Ive built some DI Boxes with Cinemag transformers and they sound amazing.  But not the same as the wolfbox.

Cj1973

Hello Fred
I was reading about Wolfbox and your post came up.
Just PM'd you. I'm out of LA and would love to get your help and thoughts in building one. Could you please let me know. Thx