News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phono preamp

Started by AntKnee, April 20, 2017, 06:13:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntKnee

I need a preamp for my turntable and was considering building a vero layout because... why not? Do any of you have experience with prhono preamps? I was wondering if you had any thoughts or advice on whether it is worthwhile to build one vs just buying a decent one. Like pedals, they seem overpriced for what they are.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

electrosonic

I made the Elliott sound version a few years ago. Works well.

http://sound.whsites.net/project06.htm

Andrew.

davent

I've made a couple different ones. The vero friendly one is the Very Simple Phono Stage. Few parts, nothing exotic, can run on batteries and i thought sounded very good.

http://phonoclone.com/diy-pho5.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

pickdropper

What kind of cartridge do you use?  If it's a standard MM, there are a lot more options.

If you have a Moving Coil, especially a low output one, you may need step-up transformers.  For example, my cart only has 250uV output so I need a LOT of gain on tap.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

AntKnee

Quote from: pickdropper on April 21, 2017, 04:24:11 AM
What kind of cartridge do you use?  If it's a standard MM, there are a lot more options.

If you have a Moving Coil, especially a low output one, you may need step-up transformers.  For example, my cart only has 250uV output so I need a LOT of gain on tap.

Honestly, I don't know. I scored an MCS direct drive turntable and I'm just setting it up for use. My receiver doesn't have a phono input, so here I am. I think it is the standard MM. I've seen mentions of this in my research up to now, but I assumed it was MM.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

pickdropper

Quote from: AntKnee on April 21, 2017, 09:00:39 AM
Quote from: pickdropper on April 21, 2017, 04:24:11 AM

Honestly, I don't know. I scored an MCS direct drive turntable and I'm just setting it up for use. My receiver doesn't have a phono input, so here I am. I think it is the standard MM. I've seen mentions of this in my research up to now, but I assumed it was MM.

In all likelihood it is MM, but it's worth double checking before going to the trouble of building a phono stage.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

stecykmi

here's my project from a while back. i still use this device. the jfets for this project are a little hard to get unfortunately.