News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why don't we have a craft beer thread? Now we do!

Started by jubal81, April 21, 2017, 10:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

I've been expanding my beer horizons for a few years and now that I live in the Hops capital of the universe, it's only getting worse. Which reminds me - I need to make sure I have the day off for the Hops festival ...

I've had a lot of really great beers since moving to the Pacific Northwest last year and my favorite brewery so far is Fremont in Seattle. During the hops harvest, they have beers made with fresh, organically grown hops which was the hook that got me to notice them, but everything in their lineup is spectacular. The seasonals are a treat, with fall's Bonfire Ale taking the prize.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Had some of this the other day, quite enjoyed it:

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

bsoncini

I love me a good IPA. Thankfully craft beer is starting to get more popular in France. Still too expensive. Costs much more than when I lived in the US. But at least I can find a few good beers at the grocery stores other than known Belgian beers.

Sometimes they get too French about it, "this pairs well with this or that cheese", "sublime with fois gras", etc.

culturejam

NJ is blowing up right now in terms of craft beer. In fact, one of my good friends (we were in the same homebrew club for years) opened a brewery not far from me. And from his place, there are two others within a very short walking distance in downtown Hackettstown (those would be Jersey Girl and Czig Meister).

Here's my buddy Joe's brewery: http://manskirtbrewing.com/

It's so named because for years, he's always brewed while wearing a kilt. And he still does, and so do his brewer's assistants when they are in the brewery.

Quote from: bsoncini on April 22, 2017, 05:21:40 AM
"sublime with fois gras", etc.

Anything is good with fois fras.  ;D But then I feel bad for eating it.  :'(
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

thesmokingman

back in Kansas, I enjoyed Boulevard's Bully Porter ... Free State's Ad Astra Ale ... Walnut River's Warbeard Irish Red ... I've even waited in line for River City's The Grinch, their very low production X-Mas brew(very much like Sierra Nevada Bigfoot)

since I got to Florida, I've got locally made Yuengling which isn't exactly craft beer ... I hear good things about Coppertail Night Swim and the stuff from Cigar City but haven't gotten to them yet.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

stecykmi

the craft beer revival has been amazing. i took a few years off from traveling to the US and i really surprised at the growth there when i went back. you can even get really nice beer in airport bars now, just a few years ago it was all bud and corona (not that those beers don't have their place as well).

ontario now has a million different breweries. even tiny cottage towns seem to have their own. anything from Muskoka Brewery is usually amazing. their "mad tom" comes highly recommended by me, pick up a can if you ever see it.

nzCdog

I have a few favourite drops here in NZ.  Quite a few craft brewers in Canterbury, one of the most popular '3 Boys' do a sensational Wheat Beer and IPA.  And Stout.  Actually come to think of it their Lager's not bad, either.   :o

sonnyboy27

I live a stones throw away from Heavy Seas and a few others. Guinness also just bought a place near here to be able to start doing some microbrews in the US market.
I've been loving the Heavy Seas 21st Imperial ESB. If you find it definitely give it a shot.

CODymmoT

Here's a couple of my favorites from Adelaide Australia.

Pirate Life.
http://piratelife.com.au/

These guys do a really great IPA too.

Mismatch
http://www.mismatchbrewing.com.au/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davent

Quote from: stecykmi on April 22, 2017, 12:47:59 PM

ontario now has a million different breweries. even tiny cottage towns seem to have their own. anything from Muskoka Brewery is usually amazing. their "mad tom" comes highly recommended by me, pick up a can if you ever see it.

Ontario... more then you can shake a stick at around here, too many to mention. Has certainly expanded my appreciation for the huge variety of offerings.

Beau's has a nice selection that's  always worth a taste. Local, Collective Arts Brewery uses submitted art for their cans so their tasty offerings are always sporting new coats.

Ransack the Universe

http://collectiveartsbrewing.com/beer/ransack-the-universe/

Art & music & beer

http://collectiveartsbrewing.com/all-series/series-7/

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

Baltimore's late to the party, but we have some really good ones. Union Craft makes a gose, which is pretty rare, and Dogfish Head is close enough that it's regional -- they're my second favorite brewery after Omegang, who has never made a beer I don't live. My current favorites are Dogfish's Midas Touch (might not count as a 'beer' though) and Omegang's 3Philosophers and kolsh.

We also have a couple good cider and mead makers, but we have nothing on Seattle for cider ... Anyway, Millstone here does Frech style cider, which is cool.
DC also has some really good small breweries.

culturejam

Quote from: sonnyboy27 on April 24, 2017, 01:15:08 PM
I live a stones throw away from Heavy Seas

I really like their barley wine. It's exceptional.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

jubal81

Quote from: nzCdog on April 23, 2017, 07:59:05 PM
I have a few favourite drops here in NZ.  Quite a few craft brewers in Canterbury, one of the most popular '3 Boys' do a sensational Wheat Beer and IPA.  And Stout.  Actually come to think of it their Lager's not bad, either.   :o

I've heard New Zealand hops are a bit different - maybe more fruity. GoodLife brewery in Oregon claims to use them in their 'Sweet As,' which does hint at a berry flavor, but didn't really blow my hair back or taste all that different.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Quote from: midwayfair on April 24, 2017, 07:05:44 PM
Baltimore's late to the party, but we have some really good ones. Union Craft makes a gose, which is pretty rare, and Dogfish Head is close enough that it's regional -- they're my second favorite brewery after Omegang, who has never made a beer I don't live. My current favorites are Dogfish's Midas Touch (might not count as a 'beer' though) and Omegang's 3Philosophers and kolsh.

We also have a couple good cider and mead makers, but we have nothing on Seattle for cider ... Anyway, Millstone here does Frech style cider, which is cool.
DC also has some really good small breweries.

True, lots of cider hereabouts, but I actually hadn't tried any yet. Got a recommendation?
- David Fair

midwayfair

Quote from: jubal81 on April 24, 2017, 11:25:55 PM
True, lots of cider hereabouts, but I actually hadn't tried any yet. Got a recommendation?

No idea, really. I didn't recognize many of the names on the menus when we visited Seattle. But my favorite cider that you can get pretty much anywhere (though not usually in bars) is Crispin's honey cider. It's got legs and it's more of a winter drink than more tart ciders, which tend to be thinner and more refreshing.

Also, this seemed appropriate for this thread: