News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Why don't we have a craft beer thread? Now we do!

Started by jubal81, April 22, 2017, 05:15:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neandrewthal

Hops extract? I thought dried hops were the alternative to fresh.

jubal81

Quote from: neandrewthal on September 30, 2017, 07:15:04 PM
Hops extract? I thought dried hops were the alternative to fresh.
Aye! Dried hops. They're smuched down into pellets like guinea pig feed, though. Interesting process.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

jubal81

Welp, it's Beer month again. Went looking for some fresh hop, but it's gonna be a few more days.
Didn't come away empty-handed, though. Snagged some Pearl Jam "Home Shows" ale by Georgetown. It's actually damn tasty - about as good as any session-style I've had. I'm surprised. Looked like a gimmick.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on September 12, 2018, 11:50:20 PM
Welp, it's Beer month again. Went looking for some fresh hop, but it's gonna be a few more days.
Didn't come away empty-handed, though. Snagged some Pearl Jam "Home Shows" ale by Georgetown. It's actually damn tasty - about as good as any session-style I've had. I'm surprised. Looked like a gimmick.

Maybe a gimmick, but it's gotta be better than the Iron Maiden Trooper beer.  That stuff sucks.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

EBK

"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

movinginslomo

I'm partial to my local Rock Harbor beer

jubal81

Seattle Times did a really fun story about fresh hop season -- guys filling their cars to get them back to Seattle by the time the boil is ready.
https://www.seattletimes.com/life/food-drink/the-wonder-of-the-fresh-hop-how-washingtons-special-autumn-beer-gets-made/
- David Fair

alanp

Enjoying a Boundary Road Brewery _Powder Hound_, right now. Some citrus, a lot of hoppy resin, stays on the tongue for awhile. Quite nice. Extra Pale Ale.

Reminds me of the Good George beers I've tried in the past. (Different brewery, this one is based out of an old decommissioned church.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jubal81

Aha. Here we go. Prolly head our to some of the smaller in-town spots later today.
- David Fair

jubal81

Quote from: alanp on September 15, 2018, 05:59:18 AM
Enjoying a Boundary Road Brewery _Powder Hound_, right now. Some citrus, a lot of hoppy resin, stays on the tongue for awhile. Quite nice. Extra Pale Ale.

Reminds me of the Good George beers I've tried in the past. (Different brewery, this one is based out of an old decommissioned church.)
Nice. I've heard New Zealand produces some nice hops. There's an Oregon brewery that uses them for one of its Ales. Pretty tasty, but I didn't notice a huge difference.
- David Fair

timbo_93631

I've planted some hops, next year will plant more, then start dividing scions after a few more years.  There are some local micros out here that are very keen to get local hops if possible.  It is not ideal growing conditions, but we'll see, I think the main thing will be keeping them out of the monsoon to avoid mildew, but I am already working on that for my tomatoes.

RE Local beers that are worth looking for if you are out this way (middle GA) Terrapin in Athens has many nice beers, Hopsecutioner is a favorite.  Also The Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale is tasty and brewed in ATL.  But I don't suggest spending much time in ATL.  Unless you really like driving crazy.  Then go ahead and run the "Watermelon 500" as many times as you like.  Old man timbo_93631 is happy to stay in Putnam County and occasionally drink some of that big city ATL beer.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

alanp

Quote from: jubal81 on September 16, 2018, 08:01:37 PM
Nice. I've heard New Zealand produces some nice hops. There's an Oregon brewery that uses them for one of its Ales. Pretty tasty, but I didn't notice a huge difference.

That's funny, I read an interview years ago with a NZ brewer, who was quite proud about how he used American hops, not just the stuff grown in NZ :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website