News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

2014 green bean issues!!!

Started by Brianwendt33, April 25, 2017, 09:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brianwendt33

Ok so I built the 2014 green bean and it's currently not working when engaged. Iam getting output when turned off and the led comes on when turned on but no output. The only sound I get out it is when I hit the guitar stings real hard making a quick buzz sound then quickly fading away. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks

BrianS

First check all your wiring and make sure it's correct.  When I am passing sound turned off and none when on I always look for a ground problem.  Are all the components the correct value and oriented right? Go and check all you joints and reflow them to make sure you don't have a solder bridge.  Do you have an audio probe?  This is one thing that is pretty much essential to troubleshoot problems.  Google how to build one.  Last, it is always a good idea to post pictures of the top and bottom of the board.  Your problem could be something as simple as wiring or a solder bridge you're not seeing.

Brianwendt33

Ok so I built an audio probe and it works great. I probed both input and output and traced audio back to both transistors. They are placed in the right direction but the audio stops with both transistors. The transistors are 2n5088 and a 89. Should I switch them around or change them out completely? Any suggestions? Iam new at building so please excuse the inexperience. Thanks

BrianS

if they're oriented like the board shows then that's the correct way. A BC550 has to be flipped.  Is your IC in correct and are you getting sound to those pins?  You need to post a picture of the bottom and top of the board.  Otherwise people are just making a stab in the dark.

Brianwendt33

For some reason the forum won't let me post pics. It says that my file is too large. I will try on my computer and no Iam not getting any sound out of the ic and yes it is placed in correctly.

Brianwendt33

alright i tested the ic and the voltage from the power supply. from the power supply its 9.28 then D6 = 9.25 to 9.02 then R17 = 9.02 to 1.112 and everything else behind it is 1.112. Iam pretty sure it should stay a steady 9.0 volts all the way to pin 8 on the ic so i think R17 is the culprit. here are the voltages to the ic.
pin1=.770
pin2=.240
pin3=.199
pin4=0.00
pin5=.601
pin6=.581
pin7=.796
pin8=1.112

when the board is powered on the LED is not quite as bright as it should be and as i test the ic voltages pins 15678 the LED shorts out. when i test pin 2 the LED stays the same but the 3mm led's that i used for clipping light up. i will change R17 and see if that is the problem. wish me luck

BrianS

I'm not at a computer to unzip the 2014 build doc but Your voltages are way off the 2015 doc.  I would think they would be close.  I will open mine up a little later to check something. 

Brianwendt33

I checked R17 and I had a 10k instead of a 10 ohm resister. Like I said Iam a noob at all this but still learning. Rechecked the ic and here is what it's reading now
Pin1 = 6.46
Pin2 = 5.10
Pin3 = .640
Pin4 = 0.00
Pin5 = 3.45
Pin6 = 3.33
Pin7 = 6.48
Pin8 = 8.88

I don't know where to get the proper voltages for the pcb if someone had that info that would be great. Only getting audio through pin3 when I probe. When I have a guitar plugged in only getting splatty gated fuzz sound only when I hit the strings hard. Bypass mode works great

BrianS

Mine is a 2015.  Do a quick check between the 2014 and 15 component values.  I still think you should be close to what the 15 values are.  With exception of 4 and 8 they're all 4.48 but one which is 4.56.  Since you found one resistor that wasn't right you really need to check to make sure there's not another one.  Just food for thought I always check my resistors and caps prior to doing any soldering.  It helps prevent me putting a wrong value on the board.  Take your voltage readings off your transistors and post them also.