News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Phaser pedal ticking

Started by John S, May 01, 2017, 06:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John S

I have a phaser (Mutron Phasor II) clone that is ticking in bypass mode. The ticking is to the rate of the lfo. I've tried different opamps (TL082, TL062 and TL022) and I've made the in and out leads as short as possible. Please help
Schenkenstein custom effects. Check out the page on Facebook.

alanp

Pictures?

I'm guessing topmounted jacks, with one close to your LFO chip.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

John S

John S

The jacks are on the sides. I believe the LFO chips are bottom center and bottom right?

somnif

Quote from: John S on May 02, 2017, 06:56:15 AM
The jacks are on the sides. I believe the LFO chips are bottom center and bottom right?

Assuming you're using the Tagboard effects layout, correct, bottom center and bottom right are the LFO ICs

LaceSensor

You are maybe running wires for the rate pot near or over your in/out or other connectivity.

You can try a few things.

1 - move the wiring. Short doesnt mean good, if its in too close proximity
2 - use shielded cabling for the in/outs

AntKnee

That is some funky fabric! Can't wait to see the build report.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

John S

I tried moving the wires around and it helped a tiny bit but the ticking is still there. Would a closed 1/4 in jack do the trick? Would someone mind sending me a link for some shielded cable and explain how to wire it? Thanks

John S

What about wiring the bypass switch to ground input and output?

kgull

Quote from: John S on May 03, 2017, 06:49:34 AM
I tried moving the wires around and it helped a tiny bit but the ticking is still there. Would a closed 1/4 in jack do the trick? Would someone mind sending me a link for some shielded cable and explain how to wire it? Thanks
I think the key is to make the wires between your input jack and the board shorter and farther away from the oscillator. Right now, they are a little long and act as an antenna, picking up a lot of noise.

Closed jack won't make much, if any, difference at all.

Smallbear carries shielded wire if rewiring doesn't get rid of the noise. Just wire ground to the outer shield and the input through the center wire.
Quote from: John S on May 03, 2017, 06:57:26 AM
What about wiring the bypass switch to ground input and output?
Grounding the input while bypassed is good practice for other reasons but I don't think it will affect this issue.

John S

Would i use the 2 conductor shielded cable or the coax RG-174 wire? Thank you so much for your help

alanp

http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/images/ps1amini-i.jpg
http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/mod.html

Juan put one of his jacks right on TOP of the LFO in the linked build -- he wound up using an enclosed jack, and further shielding that with grounded tinfoil, and shielded wire.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

John S

Thanks. When i use shielded wire i connect the ground to the shield and the center wire to the tip on one end and the center wire to the switch on the other end. Does the other end ground need to be connected?

AntKnee

That is correct. Only one end needs to be grounded. The point is to wrap the signal wire in a grounded protective coating, to block interference picked up from the LFO. I usually solder the shield to the ground on the jack. Be careful to trim back the shield enough that it doesn't accidentally ground out against your switch while trying expose as little of the center wire as possible.
I build, and once in a while I might sell, pedals as "Vertigo Effects".

John S