News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Slow Gear clone

Started by mjg, May 02, 2017, 11:29:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjg

This is from a PCB that I got in the holiday PIF - thanks to Tremster!   

It's a fun pedal to play with.  Works well with the guitar and bass. 

I've used a 25kB pot and 1u capacitor for the attack control.  There seems to be a few different BOMs for this pedal floating around, so I trialled a 100k pot, and a 0.47u cap, didn't make much difference on my setup, so went with the first values. 

Enclosure is the trapezoid Hammond.  Decorations are bike cogs, which I've stuck together and onto the top with PU glue.  That stuff is awesome.  I was skeptical that it would work on metal, but no issues.  Those cogs aren't coming off. 

I had to cut down the pot shafts, and also cut the nuts, so that the knobs would fit on flush with the bike bits. 

Five LEDs in a ring around the switch, under the cogs, so the whole centre bit glows.  Initially had 5 yellow LEDs in there, but made the mistake of assuming I wouldn't need a CLR for that.  Pop go the LEDs.  Only had white ones to replace them with. 

Writing has been done with a rotary tool with a diamond bit.   It's a bit messy ... filled it in with gold nail polish, then sanded off. 

The top of the enclosure has been sanded with 2000 grit wet paper, then polish.  It came up super shiny, which lasted about 3 minutes before it had finger prints all over it.  :)

Oh, and this is what happens when you try to find a nice sunny spot to take photos of the finish.  The cat comes and claims the sun.   ::)

Lubdar

I love the look of this pedal, goes great with the name, and I'm a sucker for steampunk vibes...
Keep up the great work!
Lubdar
(--c^.^)--c

jimilee

Daaaammmnn that looks fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Agreed, that looks VERY cool.  The trim under the knobs looks so cool.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

stringsthings

Very nice design.

Love the cat! Reminds me of one of mine.
All You Need Is Love

alanp

Very, very impressed. I did a similar lettering method once with my Dremel, but filled it in with black india ink, not gold paint.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

bluescage

Wow, that looks amazing!!

cresconio

Very nice! What kind of led bezels did you use there? They are not entirely flat are they?

Would love a pic where the leds are on ;)

bcalla

Martan

Awesome!!! I have been gearing up (pun intended) to do something similar (but less amazing:)) with my Rustbucket build. Well done!

mjg

Quote from: cresconio on May 03, 2017, 01:05:00 PM
Very nice! What kind of led bezels did you use there? They are not entirely flat are they?

Would love a pic where the leds are on ;)

These are the bezels - yep, they aren't quite flat.  http://au.rs-online.com/web/p/led-bezels/2231543/

The LEDs are on in that first picture!  It was a bit hard to capture the lights on in daylight.  It makes a diffuse glow all around the central cog.  You can see the LEDs reflecting in the stomp switch if you look closely.  Looks brighter in real life. ;)

Tremster