Author Topic: Going for broke (healthy eating thread)  (Read 349 times)

timbo_93631

• Electron Doctor
  • Sunday Handwired - Sunday Handwound
    • View Profile
    • Sunday Handwired Amps and Effects
Re: Going for broke (healthy eating thread)
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2019, 05:05:52 PM »
Iím gonna give a disclaimer and just say that I am a lunatic permaculture based gardener.  We eat as much of our own produce here as possible, and grow it to be as nutrient dense as possible too.  We are raising our own animals as garden helpers, and to eat, and are trying to get to a place where we only eat homegrown meat that is slaughtered and butchered here and produce grown here. 

Iíd encourage you to consider that most  grocery store produce is really pretty empty in terms of nutrients.  It doesnít matter if it is conventional or organic, the soils most store food are grown in are basically dead, and low nutrient.  They will be fertilized to feed them instead of getting nutrients from the soil.  If you can find a local CSA or Farmers market with growers that are working from a living soil/permaculture approach I think youíll find it a ton easier to live on the diet you are considering.  Also whatever you can grow yourself is always a great plan.  Now is the perfect time to start preparing beds for spring planting in healthy living soil.

Are you claiming that typical store produce has less nutrients than reported, or that the reported numbers are correct, but could be more nutritious with healthier soil?
. The latter.  Whatever is on a label is an average based on sampling of the produce and analysis of the samples.  The point is, in any farming or gardening where tilling is employed you have total breakdown of the soil biology.  This means the soil has less available nutrients and less delivery mechanisms for the plants to absorb nutrients, so fertilization has be done at the root zone or through foliar feeding.  Growing this way is merely using the soil as a growing medium, not as the food source for the plants. If you want nutrient dense produce you need to try and increase the carbon content of your soil, always keep it covered by a mulch of some sort, and try to disturb the soil as little as possible.  You basically want to feed the dirt until it isnít hungry anymore, then your produce will go nuts in terms of size, flavor, and nutrient density.  You can look into Paul Gautschi, his back to Eden gardening methods are based on some Japanese research fro the 60ís.  I think he doesnít quite stress the importance of composted chicken litter when using wood chips, and that you can have huge problems with fire ants and weeds using them in the south.  I follow JM Fortierís no till system, combined with the chicken and pig grazingnprsctic s that Joel Salatin uses.  The Charles Dowdingís no dig methodology is my end goal for making new beds, but it requires more compost than I am making. 
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 06:49:54 PM by timbo_93631 »
In His service.

Sunday Handwound Pickups
Sunday Handwired Amps and Effects
Sarah Jane Prudden House

peAk

• Electron Doctor
  • Justin - Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2019, 05:17:27 PM »
I'm a firm believer in cutting out the carbs/sugar.

Whether it's Paleo, Keto, Primitive, Atkins, etc.

It's just what makes sense, it's what's natural. These processed foods and refined carbs are what has made us fat, lazy, and disease prone. All you have to do is quit sugar/carbs for a a day to realize how addicted you are to them. It's insane.

...and of course these desk jobs and lack of exercise doesnt help.

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2019, 06:44:29 PM »

It's just what makes sense, it's what's natural. These processed foods and refined carbs are what has made us fat, lazy, and disease prone. All you have to do is quit sugar/carbs for a a day to realize how addicted you are to them. It's insane.

Wait, wait. Are you saying...now, lemme see if I have this right...you're saying the SuperSonicChocolateRectumBlaster I have every day before bed is the problem? It's got milk in it and shit. I thought it was like, health food.
I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).

peAk

• Electron Doctor
  • Justin - Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2019, 08:02:19 PM »

Wait, wait. Are you saying...now, lemme see if I have this right...you're saying the SuperSonicChocolateRectumBlaster I have every day before bed is the problem? It's got milk in it and shit. I thought it was like, health food.

If you like your rectum blasted before bed, I ain't here to judge.

madbean

• Administrator
  • Electron Doctor
  • Brian
    • View Profile
    • madbeanpedals
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2019, 09:03:31 PM »
Something I discovered tonight: baked potato with just Habenero-based hot sauce is god-tier food!
I own madbeanpedals (duh). I am part owner of Function F(X).

alanp

• Electron Doctor
    • View Profile
    • http://alanp.info/
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2019, 09:45:37 PM »
Donít get why people think vegan is a bad word. Donít knock it until youíve tried it guys.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6589687/Vegans-storm-ethical-grocery-store-protest-hurl-abuse-customers-staff.html

It's chiefly nutters like this who give vegans a bad name.
"Hot water, good dentishtry and shoft lavatory paper."
- Cohen the Barbarian, on what is greatest in life
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Matmosphere

• Electron Doctor
  • Matthew
    • View Profile