News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

what are you guys listening to at the moment?

Started by the3secondrule, August 25, 2011, 01:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berger

Quote from: midwayfair on July 05, 2019, 03:16:39 PM
Julien Baker:

Also in boygenius:

I think both of those concerts were from the same event.

I've gotten sucked down this rabbit whole as well, some really good npr tiny desk concerts out there as well.

Warpaint has occupied a lot of my listen time lately as well.

somnif

Tool released a cut from their new album today. Its... interesting. Also, over 10 minutes long.

edit: First thoughts - Very mid-90's "world music" vibe in the instrumentation, sort of meandering jam-session song structure, lyrics that don't really seem all that cohesive, its.... Ok. Maybe it will grow on me, but really at first blush it sounds like a scratch track from Aenima or 10,000 Days with some modern production. I'll give it a few more tries, and when the album comes out, but don't think this one will be going on my mp3 player for the moment.

Its Tool, not great Tool, not weird Tool, just... Tool.

bamslam69

A few years ago, a local band here in Oz, The Avalanches released their first song in 18years. The hype was big on the radio. In the office we're all got our headphones in, sametime messaging each other "wooh, it's coming up" yeeeaah. All that.
Triple J finally play the song, "Frank Sinatra"..... it sounded like gypsy circus techno.
Our messages of hope and excitement start changing to "whatdafark is thiiiiis????"

I couldn't help but wonder if Tool pulled the same stunt.
But yeah, it's definitely the sound from Tool we all know. Looking forward to the album.

flanagan0718

Quote from: somnif on August 08, 2019, 01:10:44 AM
Tool released a cut from their new album today. Its... interesting. Also, over 10 minutes long.

edit: First thoughts - Very mid-90's "world music" vibe in the instrumentation, sort of meandering jam-session song structure, lyrics that don't really seem all that cohesive, its.... Ok. Maybe it will grow on me, but really at first blush it sounds like a scratch track from Aenima or 10,000 Days with some modern production. I'll give it a few more tries, and when the album comes out, but don't think this one will be going on my mp3 player for the moment.

Its Tool, not great Tool, not weird Tool, just... Tool.

Better than that 10,000 days garbage they tried to pass of as TOOL. IMO. And I'm not saying that as a "well if it was anyone else it would have been a really good record" kind of way. 10,000 days was bad no matter how you look at it. Once again IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flanagan0718

Double post

alanp

Quote from: flanagan0718 on August 08, 2019, 08:42:42 PM
Better than that 10,000 days garbage they tried to pass of as TOOL. IMO. And I'm not saying that as a "well if it was anyone else it would have been a really good record" kind of way. 10,000 days was bad no matter how you look at it. Once again IMO.

Haven't listened to the new clip, yet, but... I liked 10,000 Days :(
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

flanagan0718

A lot of people did. I just could not get into it. But hey, different strokes...right?

selfdestroyer

Been listening to a lot of Jon Hopkins while building. I think he dose some great use of the sound stage. lots of great in phase and out of phase binaural stuff.

Here is one of the more upbeat tracks I like

CODymmoT

Don't know if there's any metal or hardcore fans in this thread but I've been reminiscing on some old New York City hardcore. Cro-Mags, Alpha Omega. Possibly not their most popular album but definitely my favorite. Oh and German Power-metal power house, Accept. Great listens if you're into that scene.

alanp

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

somnif

Love Tom Waits, 4 of his albums on my MP3 player at the moment, plus a few random one-offs here and there.

I always think of this song when I consider what my neighbors must think of me when I get in a building mood.

(I don't have formaldehyde at the moment, but did previously have 2 gallon jugs of cyanide solution in the garage)

alanp

Quote from: somnif on August 24, 2019, 06:31:48 AM
(I don't have formaldehyde at the moment, but did previously have 2 gallon jugs of cyanide solution in the garage)

http://electro-music.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=66609

Heh heh heh.
- Terry Pratchett
My website

somnif

For the record, the cyanide was electrolyte for a electroplating tank my grandfather built ages ago and we'd never gotten rid of. I am not a serial killer.  :-X

midwayfair

No good YouTube link for the whole thing, but Van Morrison's Vedon Fleece album.

I was introducing it to my dad, who commented, "I've never heard any of these songs."

I was like, yeah, of course you haven't. No singles on it. No pop songs. Few of the songs ever made it into a live set (in part because he quit touring right after and started trying to drink himself to death). Almost the same instrumentation on every song, acoustic instruments only except for some electric guitar overdubs done in a different studio later. Reused chord progressions. Only one rock song and it's a slightly bitter take on emigration (which he did play at Montreaux). It's like the anti Astral Weeks, and maybe a better album overall. Every single song on it is one of the best vocal performances Van Morrison ever recorded.

bamslam69

Getting into some NOFX. In the band mate and I are forming, NOFX are a common fave band, although I only own 2 cds of theirs.
So yeah, something to jam on when we want to have fun.