News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Shipping woes: bad. New store: good!

Started by madbean, May 03, 2017, 05:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Good news - pretty much all the vfe project orders have shipped. There are a couple left to drop off which are due to errors with shipping fees. These are all resolved now. I should be getting a small bundle of replacement pots I need to offer more for sale soon.

Bad news - the shipping fee issue persists with International orders despite "being fixed". So for now I have undone all the work I did to change the system over and restored the previous method (fee calculated by amount rather than weight). I believe this will fix the issue for now.

Good news - I've pretty much had it with using Paypal to manage the store. I could list a dozen things that frequently go wrong with it but no point in boring everyone. Just today I discovered that inventory is not being properly calculated on the PP site. So, MBP is going to finally grow up and get a proper store within the next week or so.

The new store should have several features that "enhance customer experience" and make it easier for me to manage. It'll be WooCommerce most likely. This is going to require all my attention for the next few days since it has to be done as quickly as possible. So, other planned things will be pushed back a week or so.

I'll still get video demos of the Alpha Dog and Pale Horse up this week, regardless. I've been working on making the videos more professional looking and sounding and so far it's turning out great. So, all in all MBP is stepping up its game :)

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

matmosphere

Nice! Hopefully the new system will save you some grief. So you have more time to make more cool products ;)

gtr2

Just my two cents, I use woocommerce and it has its own batch of issues...
But the inventory management is good for when I used it...
The wordpress/woocomerce/theme all staying happily up to date is always an issue for me and if your not careful there will often end up being an issue between them.
The shopping cart for paypal is a problem for me, if the customer doesn't just click paypal they have to put their address , then paypal doesn't show their address in the transactions or as confirmed and you have to go to your wordpress admin page or email to trackback the address.  You can't eliminate the fill in blocks, well I can't figure it out....There are other issues with it as well.
The weight based shipping works but it is a bit of a hassle setting up and breaks sometimes...
I'm looking to move to shopify, I've had so many headaches implementing the woocomerce/wordpress over the past few years I'm willing to pay more for an all in one setup.
Take it for what it's worth...
Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

somnif

Will paypal still be a payment option in the new set up? Just curious.

stringsthings

Sounds great!  I'm looking forward to purchasing a few VFE boards in the near future.
Working on the backlog right now.  I just finished populating and testing a DS-1 build
that I've had on the shelf for about 2+ years!!  ( way too long, but you know how that goes)

Lots of neat DIY things happening this year!
All You Need Is Love

peAk

Will the new store be open on Sundays?

madbean

Quote from: peAk on May 04, 2017, 05:26:00 AM
Will the new store be open on Sundays?

Yes, but you won't be able to purchase alcohol.

madbean

Quote from: somnif on May 03, 2017, 07:14:52 PM
Will paypal still be a payment option in the new set up? Just curious.

Paypal will still be the method of payment. I just won't be using it to manage the cart or inventory.

jimilee

I love this place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

m-Kresol

thumbs up Brian. Thanks for all your work
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

kgull

Not sure if you've checked it out but I'm loving https://www.bigcartel.com . Super easy and pretty cheap ($10 a month for <=25 products). I'm on the free tier (<=5 products) but it's still pretty fully featured.

Just my two cents on a complex subject :D