News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Snarkdoodle

Started by cleanclang, July 07, 2010, 07:15:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cleanclang

My second non-kit build, and my 6th build overall.

Worked first time, very pleased.

Man oh man this thing is so throaty! It sounds awesome, really abrasive and 'rude' but somehow not at all overly distorted, just up my street. A very interesting overdrive, in my opinion, and that reputed 'tube fuzz sound' definitely shows, although it's not got the sustain you'd associate with a cranked fuzz. I love it. Think it's going to knock the TS-808 off the board. Can't wait to hear it properly at band practice.

One issue, though, is the volume knob which, although I definitely have a 10kB in there, as per the schem, seems wrong. Nearly all the volume increase is in the first 10% or so of the turn. I read recently that Europe and America refer to Linear and Log pots via opposite designations - A means Log in one place, and B in another. How bloody typical. And how bloody confusing. So I wonder whether the issue it with that, having bought my pots from a UK supplier. We'll see.

Forgive the unbelievably boring and predictable paint and knob job ("Red Llama ...ummm .... red!"). At the moment I'm just happy to be making up pedals that work. The design flare is someway off yet.

Was slightly annoyed to have dropped the bloody thing as I triumphantly rose from my workspace to fire her up, and in the process chipped a couple of corners already. Still, probably my shoddy paint job...

mjcyates

Looks great! Nice job. I have been thinking of building one of these for a while.

pauloman80

"Boring & "shoddy" paint job?  Are you frickin' kidding me?  That thing looks clean & smooth from here to Edinburgh, and I'm in the States.  That's a job well done, mate.  Don't let anyone tell you different, including yourself.  As the saying goes, usually we're our own worst critic. 

Seriously, very clean & consistent looks, screams "I WILL ROCK YOU SO HARD YOUR FACE (among other things) WILL TURN RED."  Love the blue LED in the middle of it all.  Sets it off perfectly.

As for dropping it, I can share that particular frustrating feeling.  I went with a polished aluminum enclosure for my first Krankosaurus build, and I marked up the finish when trying to drill the holes in the enclosure.  Got little superficial scratches & such in more than just a couple places, bugs me when examining it up close.  But on my pedalboard it still looks great.  Yours looks fantastic as well, can't see any blems on it at all. 

Post some sound clips!  I wanna hear this thing!  ;D
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

gtr2

sweet, nice clean job! ;D
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer