News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Very sad news

Started by madbean, May 05, 2017, 07:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I'm very sorry to announce that the MBP forum has lost one of its own. Chuckbuick has passed away. This happened several months ago and while I have been aware of it for a while I was waiting to make an announcement for reasons not relevant to this thread. I regret not saying something sooner as some may have already been aware of it.

Mark was a long-time member who made his first appearance here in 2012. He posted often and did some really outstanding work (check out some of these surface mount builds: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22797.msg223660#msg223660 and http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=22594.msg221873#msg221873). He was also a genuinely nice and helpful person here on the forum. I wish I could say more about him and I am a little ashamed to not have known him better. Perhaps those of you who did know him personally can share your thoughts.

I only know scant details concerning how he passed so I don't really have any information other than I understand it was self-inflicted in some way. I hesitate to say even that because it is personal and private information to the family but I think it's important because we have a lot of members here in all walks of life. There have even been a couple of circumstances where (other) members have privately communicated with me about mental health issues they were experiencing. All I can offer is that anyone who feels that way should know there is always a better option. Seeking out help either from family, friends, or professionals who have experience dealing with mental health crises seems difficult but almost always has a positive outcome. I saw this happen everyday when I worked in a mental health care facility at a university.

People often say "suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem". Well, that's complete bullshit. For many people depression, health and mental health crises are on-going and sometimes lifelong. For some, it may seem like the only option for relief. But, it isn't. There's always someone out there that can help.

Anyway, please feel free to leave your comments, thoughts and stories about Mark if you have them.

chordball

Man, that's terrible news. It really hits home with me since one of best friends of 15 years (at the time) took his own life just over 3 years ago. Each year I think about him on his birthday knowing that exactly month later will be the day I lost him. I have tears in my eyes just writing that much.

So while I didn't know Mark except through his incredible work, I do know the pain others are feeling and I hope they can find some peace somehow. And I can empathize with Mark as well because once that thought creeps into your head it's hard to drive it out.

So, if anyone affected needs someone to talk to feel free to message me.

RIP Mark. I'll melt some solder in your honor today.

brejna

Oh man.. Those are sad news, I did communicate with him and he was always kind and helpfull. I send him few messages a couple of months ago and never got reply from him..
Again really sorry to here this.. :(

RIP Mark

raulduke

RIP Mark.

He was always a nice guy on this forum. I remember his awesome PCB layouts.

Very sad news.

It is heartbreaking when people think there is no other option or way out.

zombie_rock123

That's awful news. I didn't have the honour of chatting with him but definitely remember his work and his friends and family are in my thoughts.

Like Bean and Chordball I too hope that if anyone fancies a chat about anything or nothing they hit the message button.
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

flanagan0718

Wow, this is truly awful news. He was so talented. I've know a few that have "taken matters into their own hands". It's never easy to deal with and / or except. My hopes and prayers (no particular religion, just positive energy really) go out to his family. May they find peace and answers.

I echo what most are probably typing as I am. I can't offer "professional" advice or council. Please If you need someone to talk (type) to do not hesitate to message me. I can at least listen and sometimes that is the only thing someone needs.

-Mike-

Adam_DIY

Wow RIP.  I've been in total awe of everything I've ever seen him post on here.

micromegas

It is really sad indeed.

I never got a chance to talk to him personally but loved to see the builds and layouts he was coming with and he always seemed a nice and helpful guy.

My best wishes to his family and friends. It may be a small thing, but his work will always be remembered by some of the members on this forum.

I guess you never know what someone is going through, but I agree with what has been said before: there is always someone to talk to out there, even in an small and mixed community as this forum is. There's a person behind each username, post and build and that's something that should never be forgotten.

RIP Mark. RIP Chuckbuick.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

stringsthings

Very sad news indeed.  He will be missed.
All You Need Is Love

wgc

Rip Mark. 😞

As others stated, his work was amazing and his layouts were works of art. He was extremely generous with his comments, "left over" pcbs, and his sense of humor.   Really made him a pleasure to deal with.

We exchanged a number of emails based on our mutual interest in surface mount builds. Never met or spoke in person, but I'm sure he would've been a great person to hang with. I was always happy to see his latest builds and was really glad when he started working with the grindcustoms crew. A huge inspiration to me. He is missed.

Wishing all the best memories and peace to his loved ones.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

davent

That sure knocked the wind out of my sails, sad sad news! Talented, inspired artist.

Thanks for posting Brian.

RIP Mark

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

RIP :( A very talented man.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

matmosphere

This is terribly sad news. His builds were always so inspiring.

The 5 band EQ he made for BOTY one year might be, in my opinion, the single most impressive piece of work I have seen on this forum ever. And that, as you all know, is saying a great deal.

I too will flow some solder this weekend in his honor.

gordo

Terrible news.  I was always blown away with that guy's work.  Search for Quackillac and VC Flanger to see board layouts that are pure artwork.  I seem to recall him talking about issues from time to time.

I've experienced a lot of healthy people fighting to die and a lot of sick people fighting to live and it's very frustrating not to be able to help.

This is a great crew around here and I echo everybody else's sentiments.  PLEASE don't suffer alone.  As a society we've come a very long way in our perception of sexual orientation.   Here's to progress in our perception of mental health as well.

And thank you Chuckbuick from so many of us for your years of inspiration.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Boba7

That's so sad.
I'm looking at his build reports right now, they're all so incredible! His 12 stage Ross phaser, his Zero Point SPDX are so crazy. And yeah I too remember his entry for the 2015 BOTY. Such an inspiring amount of work. Really makes me want to build better, cleaner, and smarter builds!