News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Very sad news

Started by madbean, May 05, 2017, 07:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcpoint

I proofread his osmium (tight metal smd pcb) build docs.  Gave him a few suggestions.  It was really good working with him on that.  Indeed, it is very sad news.  RIP Mark.  Prayers and best wishes to his friends and family that he left behind.

Tom

m-Kresol

This is very sad news indeed. I always looked forward to his builds, which I could be sure would blow my mind. He was a true inspiration.

my condolences to his family and friends. I'll echo, what the others said. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

czapa tranzystor 2

jubal81

Wow, really really sorry to hear this.

Chuck was a really great guy. I'd tried and kept failing to build one of his SMD phasers and he wouldn't give up - kept sending me free parts to try to fix it, wouldn't even let me pay him for shipping. Super nice guy. Just terrible news.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

gtr2

My condolences to friends and family, indeed very sad news, and a loss to our great community.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

culturejam

This really sucks, indeed. What a talented man and good person. I really liked his input. His project were fantastic.

Sad, sad news.  :'(
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chuckd666

Damn, that's fucked up. I've lost two friends over the last year to suicide. Look after your dang selves people.

Mich P

Scruffie

That's a damn shame...
Works at Lectric-FX

pickdropper

I got a text from Forrest last night about this and needed a bit of time to process before posting.  The strangest thing was that I thought about him a couple of days ago and was wondering how he was.  This is just awful news.

Other than Brian and Forrest, who I obviously talk to all the time, I may have corresponded the most with Mark.  I never spoke with him on the phone, but we used to email and PM often.   We haven't spoken as much in the last couple of years for whatever reason.  I assumed we both got busy but perhaps there was more going on with him.

I first met Mark back on the BYOC forum.  This was before he got into circuit board design.  He messaged me about a build that I posted.  I ended up sending him some boards for whatever reason and it kicked off some great conversations.  When he started getting into board layout, he asked me to help him look over his first attempts.  Pretty soon, he didn't need any more advice and was kicking out some amazing designs.  I remember him referring to PCB layout as his favorite puzzle game.  Over the years, we both got into the habit of sending PCBs back and forth when we did a layout.  I think he must've sent me a PCB for the first dozen layouts that he did.

My favorite memory of Mark was when he did his first layout with 0402 parts.  It was great.  Because I'm generally a smartass, I said something  along the lines of "well, that's nice and all, but now you have to do one with 0201 parts."  So, of course, that's exactly what Mark did.  Of course, not only did his board work and look great, he also send me a copy along with all of the parts for it.  I built it but never got around to boxing it.  It's always been close to the top of my "I need to box this" list because I wanted him to see that I actually built it.  As stupid as this sounds, this morning as I type this, I really regret not finishing that build.  I'm not sure why, but it really bothers me.

I'm pretty bummed out about this.  Obviously, I wasn't close with Mark outside of the forums, but there was a bond there due to our mutual interest in SMT type building.  I'm sorry that he felt things were so bad that this was his best option.

RIP Mark
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Quote from: pickdropper on May 06, 2017, 05:21:44 AM
As stupid as this sounds, this morning as I type this, I really regret not finishing that build.  I'm not sure why, but it really bothers me.
It's not stupid at all. Unfinished business with someone who you now can't resolve is heavy stuff. I have unfinished business with a friend that died in 1997, and it still bothers me when I think about it (which unfortunately for me is still about 2-3 times a month).
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Stomptown

Man, this is really terrible news.  I never met Mark but like others was in awe of his talent as a builder and designer. I really wish I would have had the chance to get to know him and my condolences go out to all of his family and friends. RIP Mark.

nzCdog

So sorry to hear this :'(

peterc

Such sad news RIP Mark
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

jalmonsalmon

R.I.P
Another gr8 lost.  :'(
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty