News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth Forum?

Started by jkokura, August 25, 2011, 11:43:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

I'm just curious what you guys think of this. I just got an email that Mammoth is launching a Forum. thoughts?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

keysandguitars

I got the email as well. It's a good business decision and could provide them with a place to receive feedback from customers and hopefully make improvements to their product line and offerings. I would find it useful to discuss the products they sell with other purchasers, ask/answer questions, etc. No doubt, they are looking to draw people to their website to make more purchases. They're a business, that makes sense.

Regarding creating a forum that would compete with this one and other well-established forums, I can't offer much opinion as I'm a noob. This is the only stompbox forum I belong to so far. I've spent hours searching the madbean forums and have found the members and Madbean himself to be stand-up guys, very helpful and generous with their time and knowledge. I don't see this forum losing any support because a new one is created.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

jimmybjj

I don't have any problems with them opening a forum. But everything they provide is ancillary to my main objective (something that madbean does provide) I don't see myself spending much if anytime over there.
Pcbs no longer available

Haberdasher

I think it will provide an excellent platform from which to complain loudly when my order is late.

j/k  I like mammoth.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

jtn191

It seems that it's just a subforum on the I <3 Fuzz website. IMO there's enough forums already...I tend to read the ones with slick layouts, kind contributors, and wealth of info. It must've sprung from so many questions that Blake could publicly answer or the fact FSB was down and somebody may have said "you guys should have your own forum"  ::)

I think the best forums are those not moderated by businesses...but Brian and the guys at BYOC are really reasonable

sgmezei

Just read the email myself. Seems like a money grab to me. Not in a bad negative way, it is a good business move, but I don't see myself spending any time over there. With this place, diystomp, and fsb I am covered. Not to mention all the amp building forums. I just don't have enough room in my life for another forum without getting rid of the girlfriend.

cjkbug

Quote from: sgmezei on August 25, 2011, 01:48:52 PM
Just read the email myself. Seems like a money grab to me. Not in a bad negative way, it is a good business move, but I don't see myself spending any time over there. With this place, diystomp, and fsb I am covered. Not to mention all the amp building forums. I just don't have enough room in my life for another forum without getting rid of the girlfriend.
I don't know how good of a money grab it will be. most if not all of the members would already be customers. I doubt a forum would drum up any more business. I think it's just a way of participating in a fast growing community. I will check it out. but I can't imagine I'd spend more time there than I would here or fsb(when they're back online) unless they have something really new to offer. I bet it will be like the pedal enclosures forum. manily a place to communicate with blake more efficiently. god knows there isn't enough hours in the day to start prowling another stomp box forum.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

gtr2

I agree with the above post.  I think it will end up like the ppp forum with only one or two builders posting every single build they've done.  I thought I got an email earlier about the forum, it's been up since the beginning of the month.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

keysandguitars

I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

cjkbug

Quote from: keysandguitars on August 25, 2011, 03:15:21 PM
Pedal enclosures forum?
excaclty.  the guys who make the fancy fuzzbox enclosures. they have a forum, it's rather desolate.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

slimtriggers

I've seen other companies set up forums that end up being their main source of customer service.  Often times the other users end up answering most of the questions that arise saving the "real" customer service dept. time and money.

Could be a good idea especially for noobs with questions like "what are the best diodes for my TS"  They could get their questions answered and order the parts all in one stop.  But, yeah, if nobody shows up then it's just another useless internet ghost town.

jkokura

This is why I was curious. At first my thought was, "like we need another DIY pedal forum," but you guys have all brought up a great discussion on why these sorts of forums exist.

After all, this one started as a support forum for the Madbean projects. I think it's taken on an extended life past just the projects available, sort of like the BYOC forums have. I think this forum is my favourite place to be.

Perhaps the Mammoth forum will take off, perhaps it will be a cavern of emptiness. In either case, Blake is trying something and I hope it works as he wants it to.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

timbo_93631

I was poking around that forum.  Besides giving me a headache from the visual interface of the board, there is a whole crazy thread over there that chronicles a dispute between devi ever and billy corgan from the smashing pumpkins!  seems like a pretty big pond over at I <3 Fuzz.  Kinda scary.  I prefer the tight knit community of the Madbean forum, I had really liked the same feeling at FSB, albiet from time to time an industry heavy hitter would drop in and that was interesting.  When Suhr checked out the Riot thread it was an eye opener!  In the end he offered PCB production services from the Suhr shop with his CNC pcb machine to all FSB members.  Pretty cool IMO.  I have gained a lot of knowledge in the various forums, but opinions are just as plentiful as technical know how, so it is good not to take everything at face value.  Without the existence of forums I might not have gone back to school for a degree in Mathematics (only 2 years to go now!).
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

madbean

The only reason I don't spend time on I <3 Fuzz is that horrid forum theme they use. I cannot stand trying to read through posts there....it's a nightmare.

k.rock!

Quote from: madbean on August 26, 2011, 10:38:28 AM
The only reason I don't spend time on I <3 Fuzz is that horrid forum theme they use. I cannot stand trying to read through posts there....it's a nightmare.

ha! It's funny u say that cause I checked it out last night and thought the same...needs some streamlining and organization...as it is, I don't think I'll be there either...
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com