News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confirmed issue: Dual Switching Mode

Started by madbean, May 07, 2017, 09:23:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

I've had a bit of back and forth discussion with Peter in the last couple of weeks about the dual switching mode in these projects. The way it is supposed to work is as described in the build doc - to switch to momentary mode you wait 5 sec, tap the switch twice and hold, then wait for the LED to blink to confirm momentary mode. This works perfectly. It's going back to latching mode where the problem arises. To switch back, the process should be the same. Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to be the case.

At first I thought I was just doing it wrong, but after making a video of it and sending it to Peter he confirmed this is an issue with the programming of the chips. So, for now to undo the momentary mode and go back to latching the power must be unplugged to reset the switching. I realize this is not terribly convenient and I am sorry that it is not working as it should be. Unfortunately, since I do not have access to the switching code it isn't a matter of me trying to re-program the micro-controllers to make them work correctly. These are programmed by a third party, and I purchase them directly from Peter as part of our agreement. So, we are stuck with this for the foreseeable future. It may be fixed in future batches but I have a substantial number of the micro-controllers on-hand so it is not likely to change in the next few months.

Again, I apologize for this glitch and I hope it doesn't cause too much disappointment for those of you who are building these projects.

beneharris

Bah, if that is the worst that happens, we're doing pretty well! Still awesome you're offering this, at the risk of just these sorts of issues.

gordo

Minor point, I think.  If I was going to use the momentary for gain punches it would likely be dialed in that way for the whole set.  Mind you in church a "set" is usually only 4 or 5 tunes.

That was a question I had though.  If you had access to the code I'd offer up my services to redo the chips or burn replacements.  This, of course, with my newly found ninja level PIC burning skills :-)  Understandable that Peter doesn't push the code out into the wild but I'm used to working under an NDA (in real life I manage/engineer a data center) so I'd throw it out there if it's a viable option.  I suspect he keeps his cards close to the vest though.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

VFEpedals

Yes, this was something that affected one set of MCUs, but the current & previous sets work properly. I was told by the programmer that it could be a checksum error, though I've been re-ordering this MCU for a while. It is sort of an "easter egg" feature, as most of my customers don't even know about the feature.

I plan on setting up a simple tester circuit to test a few from each batch, so we don't have this programming quirk happen again.
Peter Rutter
VFE Pedals
IDEA High School
peter@vfecustom.com