Good or Unpopular album opinions

Started by flanagan0718, May 11, 2017, 02:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EBK

Great:
Pearl Jam - Ten

Terrible:
Pearl Jam - No Code
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

electrosonic

The Good....

Big Star  -  #1 Record / Radio City
Curtis Mayfield   -  Superfly
Dinosaur Jr. - Bug
Elliott Smith - Figure 8
Hot Snakes  - Audit in Process
Flaming Lips - Hit to Death in the Future Head
Calexico - Aerocalexico
Ennio Morricone - A Fistful of Film Music
Guided by Voices - Do the Collapse
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
Jesus and Mary Chain - Darklands
Link Wray - The Swan Singles Collection
The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs For the Deaf
Radiohead - OK Computer
Ramones - Any of the early albums
The Replacements - Let It Be
Slow - Against the Glass
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Television - Marquee Moon
Yo La Tengo - I Can Hear the Heart Beating as One

The Bad...

If I don't like it, I ignore it so nothing here

somnif

Unpopular opinions? Ok, I've got a few (pitchforks and torches may be collected at the door)

The Good:
Coldplay - Rush of Blood to the Head
I love this album. Its the in-media-res feel of several tracks (particularly the opening) I think that always gets me. Funny enough, my least favorite cut on the album was Clocks, the song they spent the next decade remodeling themselves desperately trying to recreate. Not perfect by any means, but it sees fairly constant rotation on my mp3 player.

The Mediocre (very few albums I'd really call bad)
Arcade Fire - Funeral
Its ok. That's it. A few tracks I like, a few I really dislike, most are just "meh". I remember when this thing first hit music critics were queuing up to fellate the band. I ran to my record store and gabbed a copy and couldn't figure out what the hell the hype was about. A warbly voiced melodramatic with decent musicianship and crowded production work. Ok? I didn't hate it by any means, but I've dusted the disk off several times over the last decade and still can't figure out what everyone else saw in it.

timbo_93631

Not sure which category I'd put this in:
Anything Slade, I can't stop listening, but I am a little grossed out by myself for loving it so much.  It is all like an episode of "Are You Being Served" and the pop band has come by for a new look from menswear, yes Noddy those earthy plaid flares will look great, yes Dave, that boiler suit matches your bangs so nicely.  But then there's the guitars, hey thems John Birch customs, and Sam Li...  But the aesthetic is just everything that people don't like about 70's UK, it isn't punk, it isn't new wave, it is just beer and sex and whiskey and perfect, but gross, but perfect.  Agh... 
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

juansolo

Actually good:

Winger Pull - Yep, a Winger album, and it's just a solid really good rock album.
Billy Idol Cyperpunk - Total departure from his usual stuff, I utterly love it. Most didn't.
Black Sabbath The Eternal Idol, Headless Cross and Tyr - The Tony Martin era Sabbath was lambasted at the time and overlooked by many (including me) and the three albums he made with them are fucking brilliant.
Iommi Fused - I just think this passed many by. Tony + Glenn Hughes. Sadly they never got to tour this as Heaven and Hell reformed. But what an album!
John Parr - 80's pop rock goodness. Solid album if that's your thing. (I fixed his missus' computer at work once...)
Mr Mister Go on... - After the poppy Welcome to the Real World they released this utter masterpiece, and disappeared...
Warrant Dog Eat Dog & Ultraphobic - Warrant get so much stick for Cherry Pie, these two albums showing that they're quite a bit more than simple hair metal.

Bad but not always for the reasons you'd expect:

Whitesnake 1987 - The production is so atrocious it's unlistenable.
Metallica Death Magnetic - Same . No idea if it's any good, I've maybe listened to it twice.
Metallica St Anger - Never forgiven them for this steaming pile of shit, should never have been released.
Van Halen Balance - When VH fell out with Sammy. 3 good songs, the rest of it is shit.
NIN Year Zero - I suppose he tried something different. It just didn't work.
Queensryche Q2K and everything thereafter - When Tate's ego took over the band and ruined it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: EBK on August 29, 2017, 03:44:49 PM
Great:
Pearl Jam - Ten

Terrible:
Pearl Jam - No Code

I can forgive no code purely, purely for Present Tense.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

mrclean77

Can't believe I'm just seeing this - I don't believe in 'guilty pleasures' (like what you like), but here's how I did my list:

GUILTY PLEASURES
Ke$ha
Andrew Lloyd Webber - especially JCS
A laundry list of pop radio stuff (Bieber, Bruno Mars, a lot of stuff that's grown on me after enough car rides with Mrs. Clean and the kiddo)
90's rap
80's hair metal (some of it doesn't hold up for me, either, as Bean mentioned earlier, but that list is WAY shorter than the stuff that does)
Bon Jovi - listed separately b/c it's the cheesiest of the 80's rock stuff that does hold up for me, but mostly for nostalgia - Sambora was my first guitar hero and I still say he was the main reason I wanted a guitar; my 9-10yo brain probably thought something similar to, 'If I could get 1/2 as good as him and catch 1/3 of the ladies he has to getting, I'm set' hahahaha

I JUST DON'T LIKE IT
Kiss - almost all of it, I got "into" them in the 80's and still have Crazy Nights on tape somewhere, gosh it's awful - I would probably sing along to Rock-n-Roll All Nite, but...ugh
Slayer - again, will still scream along to the chorus of RAINING BLOOOOOODDDD, but I just can't get into em

Separate Metallica thoughts
While I still like and listen to the black album, it was the first without an instrumental and the next after AJFA (by far my fave album); while I don't wanna be a pissy fanboi and don't want James to pick up the bottle again, I still haven't liked very much after the black album

EBK

Quote from: Matmosphere on May 12, 2017, 01:10:22 AM
(still want to start a western themed Radiohead cover band called Rodeohead)
Genius!  ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

mjg

Quote from: EBK on August 30, 2017, 10:54:44 AM
Quote from: Matmosphere on May 12, 2017, 01:10:22 AM
(still want to start a western themed Radiohead cover band called Rodeohead)
Genius!  ;D

Reminds me of the AC/DC hillbilly cover band called Hayseed Dixie.  It's surprisingly good!

flanagan0718

here is another unpopular opinion from me

I have a strong distaste and loathing for Pearl Jam. Yup I HATE Eddie Vedder. Never liked the music they produced (except even flow that one and only song was pretty good). I've tried, many, MANY times too...I just can't. I don't doubt that they are decent musicians but 99% of the time when i hear their music I have to either change the channel or mentally block it out.

EBRAddict

Quote from: electrosonic on August 29, 2017, 05:02:39 PM
The Good....
</snip>
Husker Du - Zen Arcade
The Minutemen - Double Nickels on the Dime

Two of my favorites from middles school.

lars

The good:

Khruangbin - any song
SRV - In the Beginning
Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
Smashing Pumpkins - Pisces Iscariot
RUN DMC - Raising Hell

The bad:

John Mayer - anything (great guitar player, always exhaling while singing!)
Adele - anything (because they play it over and over and over and over and you can't get away! "Hello from the other side! I must've called a thousand times, to tell you I'm sorry, for everything that I've done" ....aagghhhh!!!!!)
Smashing Pumpkins - Adore
Auto-Tune - (it deserves it's own mention as an artist since it does more work than most these days)
Bobby McFerrin - Simple Pleasures (this is guaranteed to put you in a straightjacket after the 100th listen)
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

somnif

No joke, that Bobby McFerrin album is the first album I remember owning. On cassette. I'm pretty sure I was only 3 or 4 years old, and yet I still recall holding the tape.

That song. IT NEVER LEAVES.

matmosphere

First two tapes I owned were Apitite For Destruction and Green by R.E.M. Odd pair I know.

Anyone wanna guess which I'd listen to front to back these days?

EBK

My first tape was Elton John Too Low for Zero.  My brother won second or third prize in a sweepstakes, which was a Sony Walkman and about 20 tapes of various pop and rock artists.  That particular tape became mine, and I listened to it over and over and over again.  "I'm Still Standing" made it into a kids' movie recently, so my daughter has been singing it, which takes me back.  :D