News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NWD

Started by micromegas, May 24, 2017, 06:28:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

New Weissenborn day! (I actually got it two weeks ago)

After being playing slide guitar for a while, I decided to jump into the world of lap-steels. I also wanted something acoustic so I can just take it whenever I am motivated and play it and to be able to take it to the park in summer (living in East London that's what the cool kids do).
So a not too expensive weissenborn sounded like a good idea. Left hand (tone-bar hand) is not as easy as it may seem and it gets tired quite fast when I play, but I have spent the last two weeks listening to Jerry Douglas like crazy...

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

samhay

Cool.
Are you using G or D tuning?
If your left hand is getting tired, you might want to audition a few different steels. I find this one to be quite comfortable as you have a bit more meat to hold onto:
http://www.shubb.com/gs/

micromegas

Quote from: samhay on May 24, 2017, 07:12:23 AM
Cool.
Are you using G or D tuning?
If your left hand is getting tired, you might want to audition a few different steels. I find this one to be quite comfortable as you have a bit more meat to hold onto:
http://www.shubb.com/gs/

I'm using D, but find the gauge a little bit light (it came with  .013 - .056) so I may switch to some 15s (need to check carefully, as I am not supposed to exceed a tension of 165lb).

For the steel, I am using a Shubbs SP-2 but wanted to experiment with some glass tone-bars (we have Diamond in the UK, which are the ones Fredrik Kinbom uses and I love his tone), but will definitely check the GS. My main problem is that I have really small hands, when I play standard guitar I can stretch thanks to my classical training, but I find it difficult to hold the tone-bar & mute the strings with my ring finger without getting tired.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io