News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Feature Requests on Relay Bypass PCB Project(s)

Started by aziltz, August 26, 2011, 02:32:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Whatever happened to the parametric eq you were working on last year?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

i had to put it aside for a while.  I built a few of the first version and so did some others, and it worked pretty well, but it was complicated and cumbersome as a project.  I wanted to improve upon it, but I wasn't able to come up with a configuration that was universal enough (bassists, acoustic, electric, etc).  So ultimately I lost interest.  I'd be willing to revisit it in the future if there's enough interest.

I have designed a fuller-featured active baxandall that adds mids and presence controls to the standard bass and treble, and also a uber high cut.  The kind of thing I see myself using at the end of a pedalboard as a Buffer/EQ.

With the Micro EQ idea I had today, or uEQ as I will probably call it, I'm thinking of a tiny board that can be tucked inside a dirt box, wired on the output, OR mounted in a 1590A or bigger using 9mm pots for an always on, unity gain buffer/EQ.

jkokura

Cool. I'd love to see that larger Baxandall with mids/pres project.

Pming....

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aziltz

here's what I'm thinking for the mini EQ.  approximate size, 1.2" square.  Bass and Treble Boost/Cut. Small enough to tuck inside a dirt pedal and wire with off board 16mm or on board 9mm pots.

Here's a preview

[attachment deleted by admin]

jimmybjj

Looks very cool. Just one question. I have never seen those two large things in eagle, what are they?
Pcbs no longer available

aziltz

Those are actually 9MM board mount pots. Because of the orientation you and also use right angle 9MM or off board pot of your choosing.

jimmybjj

very cool, I will purchase one of these from you should you decide to produce them. what are the 4 large pads for?
Pcbs no longer available

aziltz

those are plated through holes for the 9mm pots.  the pots have 2 metal legs that help anchor them down, but aren't electrically connected to anything.  

i'm talking about these, http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=1139

jubal81

Not sure if you've already sent of to prototyper, but I thought of something else that might be useful.
This might be tough looking at the current layout, but being able to use a PCB mounted switch would be pretty neat. There'd be no worries about mounting the board somewhere.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

aziltz

Are you talking about the relay board?  I'd rather not put the switch on the board itself, for a few reasons.

1, you only need 2 contacts, so the switch soldered connection supporting the board wouldn't be all that sturdy.  making the switch on board would also jump up the size of the board, and the price.

2, its designed to do more than just single effect bypassing.  You can put any number in a box and make a relay-based looper, or amp switch, and they all can be remote controlled with external switches wired in parallel.

For something this small, double sided foam tape works wonderfully in my opinion.

jubal81

Ah, good points.
Now that I think about it some more, with the board mounted on the side of the enclosure, it could free up a decent amount of space, too.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

aziltz

personally, I think the battery space is better used by this.  batteries are just terrible things.  however, this is also a latching relay, so it really doesn't draw much power when on/off, only when switching so it could run off a battery just the same.

jubal81

What would be the best way to add the LED indicator?

Also, is this the right type of relay:
http://www.talonix.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=12914
- David Fair

aziltz

Quote from: jubal81 on September 02, 2011, 02:50:21 PM
What would be the best way to add the LED indicator?

Also, is this the right type of relay:
http://www.talonix.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=12914

I've designed it for this relay,
http://www.mammothelectronics.com/TQ2-L-5V-Low-Profile-2-Form-C-Relay-p/130-1000.htm
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=791

as for the LED, you would run 2 wires from the board to the LED.  The switching is controlled by the 4049 logic chip.

jubal81

Nice, thanks for clearing that up.
I'm glad you're working this up. I foresee buying a ton of these.
- David Fair