News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Whiskey Cream Overdrive

Started by PaulL, May 15, 2017, 01:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulL

This was my first pedal. Been looking for somewhere to post details and the circuit if anyone is interested and someone told me about Madbeans Forum. I designed the circuit myself after having an idea for a clipping circuit that was a little different from what I had seen on other pedals. I used Tina Pro to design the circuit.

I wanted something with plenty of drive, smooth distortion and something that would open up the volume and tone controls of the guitar. This is what happened:-

Gain - obvious
Ice - rolls off the bass and out of band harmonics slightly to give a more focused sound
Tone - flat at zero and increases treble when turned up. This is to help with treble loss if you don't have bleed caps on the volume control of your guitar. Also opens up the guitars tone control to make it actually useful.
Volume - Obvious.
Power shows that the pedal is plugged into power and the other LED comes on when the footswitch is pressed.

Anyway hope you like.

Adam_DIY

Nice to see you made it over here Paul.  I've seen it a few times but that's still a fricking cool looking pedal  8)

alanp

I like it! The 10mm LEDs, the fabric cover, the custom circuit... :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Tremster

zombie_rock123

Well that's just bloody lovely! Howd you do the faceplate?
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

PaulL

Thanks,

Those 10mm LEDs are something, aren't they? I saw them and just had to have them.

The faceplate was done with just a textured injet printer paper with loads of lacquer on it. The paper really soaks up the lacquer to the point where it's really just lacquer with some paper in it. I bet a thin epoxy resin would be better though.

PaulL

And if anyone is curious or wants to give making their own a try here is the circuit. It is copywright me but free for personal use.

You will see that most of it is fairly run of the mill except for the clipping circuit. The tricky parts were the clipping circuit, an idea based in VI limiters used in amplifiers for speaker protection and the gain structure. A few components could do with tweaking like maybe some of the interstage capacitors - they could be smaller in value - but the values shown aren't expensive and they work. Pots are all Linear.

The main issue I run into was stray capacitance between the in and out signal wires coupled them together and caused oscillations, hence the shielded cable you see in the photo in the earlier post.

It would be good to see other peoples take on it.

storyboardist

Love the look of that. Nice work!
Guy behind Effects Layouts

midwayfair

very nice! Definitely never seen that clipping circuit in a guitar pedal.

oip

really like the faceplate design!  and the circuit is very interesting too.  great job

Philthy

bluescage